49

♡ Roman ♡

My body recoils forward subconsciously as a hard throw of water meets my bare open back, seeping into the burning lashes.

I slump forward, my arms still connected to the wires holding me up, as weakened breaths leave my lips from the water meeting my raw skin.

"Wakey wakey birdy" a rough deep voice says from in front of me as I blow out a breath.

My head slightly pulls upward, looking around seeing I haven't moved since I was last awake.

His expensive shoes clack as he walks around, observing me. He squats in front of me while I heave out breaths, biting my lip harshly at the burning of my back.

He reaches out, his index finger lightly pointing my head up more towards him as I meet his gaze.

The room surrounded by only the light coming in through the open door creates a shadowed effect on his features, making him look eery.

And then I see it.

His eyes.

He wears the same expression as he did all those years ago. The same expression he did when he slaughtered all the other kids in front of me, when he sent a bullet through Quinn's skull.

"All this family of yours has done is reverse all my hard work, our years and years of training and conditioning. And look at you now, subjected to emotions, you proved that when you came here to save poor little Alexandre. We both know you can't save everyone.. it's a shame he'll have to end up just like Quinn" he whispered the last part to me condescendingly.

And just like that he brought me right back to that day in the cell when I was six, when Quinn was pulled in front of me and shot. It's my fault he died, I know that, and I tried, I tried so hard to not let Sir get to him but in the end I was powerless, and he died looking into my cowardly gaze.

"But I'm glad you lost all of our hard work, otherwise I wouldn't have you here again, right in front of me. And you see this is the fun part, the part where we now get to test your limits once again" he chuckles and my brows furrow, test my limits?

"You see, I've heard you've got a little helping hand, nuzzled deep inside your chest helping your heart beat." He says as he stands up, my head dropping from his grip and meeting my chest tiredly.

My heart pounds at the possibility of what he's thinking, nervousness seeps through me as he knows one of the only things keeping me alive right now is the device helping my heart beat.

He stands off to the side as I hear metal clanking lightly, the sound of a lighter flicking on before a couple of small taps. My neck aches as I try to lift it on my own to see what he's doing but my body fails and I'm left to only guess.

"I say we see just how helpful that little device really is, see if you still have your old tolerance, if you know what I mean" I hear the smirk in his voice as his shoes appear in front of my view.

He kneels down, gripping my chin and holding my head upright as his face gets closer before holding up his other hand.

My eyes zero in on the syringe. A slightly golden liquid filling the inside as my breath catches in my throat at what he's going to do.

"You see, right here I have 2.1 milligrams of fentanyl. This is your choice actually so listen carefully...see if your device can prevent your heart from stopping once I put this in your bloodstream or.. I'll drag Alexandre out here right now from the other room and put a bullet between his eyes just like a did to Quinn, and once again another innocents death will be on your hands"

My body freezes as the words leave his mouth.

"N-no no, you promised, YOU PROMISED" I scream in his face as he smirks in response.

"Tsk tsk tsk, please, keep your voice down" he tuts, his expression holding trickery.

"I don't believe you" I whisper out as tears prick my eyes.

"Mhmmm, I understand" he says nodding as he reaches behind him.

His hand comes back around, dangling something before my eyes. I focus on the object as my throat tightens, recognizing the small beaded bracelet that Augustus and Alexandre share. The same bracket we all made together when I spent the day with them a while ago.

"Please.. just let him go" I plead out as tears leak from my eyes, his face slightly blurring in my vision.

"It's your choice" he says as he lays his palms out open in front of me, one with the syringe and one with Alexandre's bracelet.

"You swear you'll let him go" I murmur out, looking at him pleadingly as he stares back at me.

"I swear I'll let him go" he assures with a blank voice, his eyes showing no assurance although I can't just take the chance that he's bluffing.

I sniffle as I nod my head, my tears dripping onto the floor as I make my decision.

I won't have his death be on my hands.

He smiles as he puts the bracelet back into his pocket, his knuckles coming up and stroking my cheek, as I angle my face away from him, disgusted by his touch.

"Such a good birdy" he murmurs as he stands and walks beside me.

My right arm twists, as he faces the bend of my elbow up towards him.

A small prick enters my arm, as he hums in satisfaction, pushing the drug into my bloodstream.

Pulling it out from my vein, my head tips backward, already starting to feel it's effects.

"Good luck" he says as the light from the doorway starts to blur, the walls becoming fuzzy and I feel my heart pounding against my chest.

His head snaps upward as a loud banging escapes through the open door, sounding far away. Gunshots echo throughout the hallways as he looks down at me again, his features blurry and distorting.

The empty needle drops to the ground as he walks away, my eyes feeling heavy as I hear a loud thud close to me.