33

♡ Roman ♡

"I know but she'll have to agree it's the only way"

"This isn't right... she'll never accept it"

I peeled my eyelids open, my body feeling heavy and tired. The whispering around me stopped as a quietness captured the room.

"Augustus" I said, my voice dry and strained.

He quickly found his way beside the bed and wrapped his palm around the nape of my neck, placing a gentle kiss against my temple before sighing contently.

"Amour" he slightly smiled after pulling back.

His chocolate brown curls were messy and run through, eyes rimmed in red and clothes the same as the day before.

"Wha-what's going on" I asked seeing everyone murmuring to one another.

He sat on the side of the bed, one hand wrapped around mine and the other laid on my thigh.

"Roman" Remy said causing me to look towards him.

"Your hearts failing, and not like before when we discussed this. The doctors say you need a new one. Now" he said looking over at Cyrille.

"What no. It's fine, it's always been like this and I've been fine except for a few scares" I said starting to get nervous.

"Not this time" He said.

"We've uh, we've found a heart that's compatible with you, we can have you in surgery by tomorrow to receive it" Cyrille said.

"That's impossible, it's takes years to receive a heart"

"Not this way, we've found one on our own" he said looking at me cautiously before sharing small gazes with everyone.

Oh my god

Oh. My. God.

Their going to give me a heart from someone they've killed.

There going to take a beating heart from someone else and give it to me.

No.

No I wont take it.

I don't want the heart of a killer, or a rat, because let's be honest they're not going to get one from happily o'l jolly little miss Carol, no it's going to be from someone who wronged them and I want no part in that. I don't want to be the reason someone dies even if they've fucked up.

I won't.

"No"

"Roman... please this is the only way" Cyrille said quietly, his eyes tired as he looked at me.

"No, don't ask me to do that" I said.

I've been the reason of too many deaths already.

"Amour, I know how you feel about this but please, there's no other way." Augustus said as my eyes dove into the patterns on the blanket, refusing to look at them.

"Amour" he whispered tugging my chin upwards gently trying to catch my gaze.

"Just put a pacemaker in, it'll last until I can get a heart... from UNOS. I won't do anything other than that"

"Roman" Laurent said as Lucien placed his hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"Stop ok, I won't be responsible for another death, I can't. It's my decision and I won't change my mind so there's no point in trying. I'll be fine, It'll keep me alive until there's a better option."

They all nodded at my words, my eyes carried over to Augustus's, as he smiled weakly and kissed the inside of my palm.

"Ok, I'll go let them know about your decision" Remy said before walking out, Cyrille following.

"We'll go get you some food, ok?" Lucien said as I nodded before him and Lucien walked out, leaving just Augustus and I.

"I thought I lost you" he murmured after a couple minutes, his eyes cast downward as his palm squeezed lightly against my thigh.

I reached out and skimmed his cheek before his eyes found mine. His eyes were glassy as he looked at me, tears gathering at the ends.

"I know I'm sorry" I said as he leaned into my palm against his cheek.

"Come here" I said as I moved over slightly and lifted the blanket, ignoring the pain that small movement caused.

He quickly walked around the bed and moved in beside me and under the blanket, pulling me into his side securely while being careful not to hurt me. My leg draped over his as I turned slightly on my left side and laid my head on his chest, his right arm encircling my waist and pressing me further into his side.

His warm scent encircled me as he got comfortable, finally warming me up from how cold I had been before.

"I can't lose you Roman... you're heart nearly stopped and I thought I lost you. You were barely breathing and I...I thought I was holding your dead body" he said as he rested the side of his cheek against the crown of my head as his left hand found the nape of my neck and his thumb settled over my pulse point rubbing back and forth.

"I would never willingly leave you August"

"Promise?"

"Promise" I whispered as I pressed a kiss against his chest before my eyes began to close