Chapter 8

HUNTER ||

"No! Please, don't! Please, just let me go!"

I heard his voice before I actually felt his body and his erratic movements. As my mind slowly comes to, I can feel his chest drenched in sweat, the side of my head, wet from the substance.

Cracking my eyes open as Roman's voice floods my mind again, the darkness of our bedroom making it difficult to see anything out of range from the shine of the moon coming through the window. I sleepily lift my head from his chest as he thrashes against the sheets, screaming for someone to let him go.

"No! No, please! Don't, please! Brother help me! Brother!" His cries for help, rip my heart to shreds.

"Hey, hey," Clearing my throat free of it's sleep filled heaviness, I reach up and grab Roman's face. "Baby, baby, wake up."

Gently tapping his cheek to get his attention, I place one of my hands over his heart, hoping my touch would calm him. Rubbing his chest, I could feel his breathing beginning to steady out.

"That's it, baby, calm down," I whisper, continuing my soothing touches. "Roman, it's ok baby, I'm right here." I reassure him as his breathing begins to level out, slowing take deeper breaths as his heart rate slows to a healthy rate.

Watching as his eyes slowly open, I sigh a huge breath of relief as he does the moment that his gaze finally lands on mine.

"Blessing?" He questions, his voice heavy with sleep and hoarse from his screams. I nod. "Thank the Gods." He breathes out, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me back to his chest.

I grimace as my cheek lays on top of his now cold, sweat drenched layer of skin, but refusing to leave him in his time of panic, I wrap one arm around his waist and kiss his chest.

"What happened, baby?" Lifting my head from his chest just enough to look into his eyes, my own fill with worry and confusion.

"Night terror," Roman whispers, his eyes closing tightly as his body shudders from the memory.

I nod, trying to understand. "Does that happen a lot?"

"Yes," He nods as well, eyes still closed as he tightens his hold on me. "They started after my brother began his solitary journey. I always get these terrible nightmares about being captured and tortured," Trembling, he shakes his head a little. "They're terrible."

Swallowing down the bile in my throat as I was experiencing Roman's fear as my own, I take a deep breath before continuing. "You were screaming for your brother. Is Emeric always in the nightmares with you?"

Only seconds after my question, Roman's eyes crack open as he looks down at me, my chin resting atop his chest now as I patiently wait for his answer that never comes.

Instead, he studies me for what seemed like hours before finally asking. "Can I trust you, Hunter?"

I nod immediately because of course he can. "With your life, you can trust me."

Studying me for a few more minutes, Roman narrows his eyes as if he was searching for a lie that I could assure him didn't exist and thankfully he realizes that on his own because then he lets out a heavy breath.

Closing his eyes briefly before opening them again, his grips my chin between his fingers and smiles softly. "My brother's name is not Emeric. That's his middle name, but I was calling him because for the past few months, he's been in my nightmares with me. He's been the one who always saves me."

Watching as he swallows harshly, his eyes searching mine, his grip on my chin tightens. "I've been secretive with my brother's name and true form because I was afraid that I couldn't trust you or the wolves here. But my brother's scent is around this area and it's strong."