Chapter 2

HUNTER ||

Once Demetrius and the rest of my Gamma warriors returned with the items that Gabe sent them to retrieve, I watched intently as they set up everything on the ground around my mate.

Roman still had his eyes shut as he leaned up against the tree, his breathing had become a lot more ragged as he tried to fight through the pain of what he was experiencing.

Looking down at his mangled leg, I scrunch my face up in pain and disgust.

I've never seen one of these traps before. It was alot bigger, wider and stronger than anything that I've ever come across, so it had to be something new created by the humans in an attempt to capture much larger Mythical creatures.

Unfortunately they didn't catch what I'm sure were mountain trolls or something that they were aiming for — they caught my mate and with how mangled his leg was inside of this thing, I feared that he might lose it if we didn't hurry up and get him out of it.

Watching as Gabe and Demetrius laid out the tarp flat on the ground then put on silver protectant gloves, I took a deep breath before looking back at Roman, who now was watching me with heavily hooded eyes.

"Sweet Goddess, this man is sexy!" — Knoxx practically moaned as he rolled belly up. The horny weirdo.

"Hey! I'm not the only one, you just thought about jumping on your mate's dick a few minutes ago." — Knoxx teases and I roll my eyes before giving him a mental shove.

Ignorance was key when it came to Knoxx — very much, especially when I had more important things to worry about.

However, he's not wrong but I mean can you blame me? Have you seen this man ? I would go belly up quick for him, call him daddy and do whatever the hell he wanted. Fuck it — everyone can call me Roman's little cum sl—

"Hunter?" Flinching when I hear Gabe's voice again, my head whips in his direction. "You ready?"

"Uh," I groan, shaking my head free of my nasty thoughts. "Y-yeah, yeah I'm ready. What do you want me to do?"

Gabe snorts, noticing my flustered expression. "Just sit next to Roman's right leg so we can get to his left and try to pry this thing off."

Nodding, I do what he instructed, sitting on Roman's right side as Demetrius and Gabe position themselves around the trap and grab the sides of it.

Gabe then looks up at my mate and says, "Deep breaths, Roman."

"Alright," Roman nods, taking a few deep breaths as he slowly reaches down and grabs my hand. An action that makes me even more horny than I already am. "Make it quick, wolf."

"We'll do our best." Demetrius promises as they both give me a look before starting to pull the trap apart.

And Roman screams.

Have you ever felt your heart shatter into a million pieces? Felt like someone was ripping it right out of your chest and there wasn't a damn thing that you could do about it? Like you just watched your bestfriend get murdered in front of you or had to watch your pup's illness progress as they lay in your arms?

The most crushing, piercing, never once subsiding sensation that washes over you. Something so chronic that it hangs over your head like a dark cloud and depletes you all the while stealing all of your energy and breath — a pain that never stops and can't be stopped.

A pain so strong that you can't breath, you can't think, you can't speak. . . something so powerful that the only thing that registers in your mind is a way — anyway to make it to stop.