Chapter 3

HUNTER ||

Roman hadn't gotten any better in three freaking days, his leg was starting to turn colors and the smell was nauseating.

My mate was drifting in and out of consciousness, he wouldn't eat or drink anything, the only thing he could do was sleep and the rare moments that we was awake, he was moaning in pain.

This morning, Valen did one of his sense tests and Roman couldn't feel his left toes which we all agreed was not a good sign at all.

That along with the smell, the fact that his wound hadn't healed and now was turning colors and by the way that he couldn't stay awake, we made the tough decision to venture back to the pack.

We've been taking turns with pulling Roman on the tarp through the forest and carrying all of our gear that we came with. The journey to the Silver River took around four days on foot but with Roman in tow, it would surely take us an extra day or two, to actually get back to the pack.

Gabe said not to call Dylan until we were close enough to link because we didn't want to risk him or Dean turning down our need to bring Roman back to the pack, so we were operating on a hope and a prayer at this point that neither of them were pissed by the time that we got back.

__ __ __ __ __

It took five days to reach the forest on the outskirts of our pack between taking frequent breaks for everyone to rest and giving Valen much needed opportunities to make sure that Roman was ok enough to continue the journey.

When we crossed the borders, that was when Gabe sent me a look that I knew all too well, Dylan is going to skin me alive or Maddox is going to take a chunk out of my ass after this.

"Alpha?" — Carefully reaching out to Dylan through the link, I swallow nervously as I feel him open his tether.

"Yes Hunter, any updates?" — His question wouldn't have made me nervous in any other circumstance, but damn it, I'm going to die for sure after this.

Taking a deep breath, I answer back.

"Ummm.. yes, but I'm not sure what you're going to think when you learn what it is." — Closing my eyes when I feel his anger burn through the link, I brace myself for what's to come.

"What is it Hunter?"

"We weren't able to complete the mission Alpha." — Clenching my eyes shut, I brace myself for what was sure to come.

Which did, about two seconds later.

"What?! Why not?!" — He growls through the link and I nod more to myself than anyone else because I knew it — I knew I was going to die today.

"I would rather tell you in person Alpha, we're almost inside of pack territory." — Ok that was a lie because we were already within pack territory but I needed to give myself some time to process what he would do once he saw this update.

"This better be good Hunter or I swear with the way that I'm feeling, I will rip your throat out!" — Hearing his threat, I nod again in preparation for my death before I feel him close the link.

Looking to Gabe for reassurance, I sigh heavily when I see his facial expression, one of concern and frustration.

It didn't take very long before we were in Dylan's eyesight as I could see him through the treeline, standing outside of the packhouse with Dean and the rest of his family.

When he started to walk towards us, I was actually thankful that Dean grabbed his arm, effectively stopping his rage.

As we began to emerge through the tree line, there was an odd feeling in the air, well more like an off putting feeling as Dylan glared our way. His expression was one of pure and utter confusion as he watched us intently and when he notices the tarp behind myself, Gabe, Valen and Demetrius, his glare returned full force.

I'm sure the need to confront us took over as Dylan took another step forward before something made him stop dead in his tracks, his body tensing, standing completely still and when I noticed Dean's hand on his lower back. . . I understood why.

That was one of Dylan's off limit areas. He never told anyone why but if someone were to touch his lower back, his chest or his shoulders in any way, the guy would go ballistic as if someone were trying to hurt him.

Dylan has put me on my ass a few times during sparing sessions because of it.

As we grew closer to the packhouse, Dylan's eyes narrow as he notices Roman on the tarp behind us.

Looking down, my mate's left leg had been wrapped in bandages but there were huge blood stains seeping through, his eyes were closed as they had been the entire journey back and the blanket we draped over his lower body was now halfway hanging off the tarp.

"Alpha." We all greet Dylan and he nods in response before looking back my mate.

"Who the hell is that?" He asks, gesturing towards Roman.

"His name is Roman." I answer truthfully as my heart rate began to pick up when I noticed Dean and Jake studying my mate as well. "He's m-my mate."

"And we don't have time to explain what's happened as of yet," Gabe interjects. "He's lost a lot of blood, we found him stuck in a human trap and he needs medical attention like now."

To which Dylan nods. "Ok, let's get him to the pack hospital and I'll ask my questions there."

_________

After instructing Demetrius, Valen, Karlos and Verron to bring all of our gear to the pack storage facility, the rest of us rushed Roman to the pack hospital.

Alpha Dylan, his family, Gabe and his mate, Avery sat on the other side of the hospital room watching Roman be hooked up to all kinds of machines after coming from his three hour surgery to save his leg.

Kyle, our pack doctor said that Roman had silver poisoning and it was lucky for him that we found him and got him into the hospital when we did because a few more hours and he would have died from his injuries.

Thank Goddess that I found him when I had because I wouldn't have been able to go on living knowing that my mate died because of my lack of judgement.

And while we all wait for Roman to wake up and start this entire process, I can't help but think back to the two felines we have down in the cells. I have a bad feeling about all of this.

_________________________________

Filler chapter!

Thoughts???
Predictions? Hopes? Fears?

Share them all and don't forget to comment if you felt the urge and vote if you enjoyed this one!

Thanks so much for reading,
Until next chapter,
Byeeeeeee Bestiesssssssss!!