Chapter 5

ROMAN ||

I'd spent a total of five days in my blessing's pack hospital, being tended to by the nurses and doctors here, all the while being hovered over by the pestering Alpha wolf, Dylan, the Beta wolf, Gabe — whatever that meant and the pestering wolf's family, the whole gaggle of them.

The wolves here seemed to move as an unit which didn't bother me as much as I thought it would but that Dylan character was just that — a character and there was just something about him that continued to ruffle Asad's mane.

Like his scent. . . There was a faint scent of honey there, which was a very distinctive scent of any feline as well as my familial scent - the apple crispness of chamomile.

It confused me because Dylan was neither a feline nor apart of my family, so he shouldn't have smelled like either, yet he did.

He wore both scents, faintly but they were there, meaning he has a feline in this wolf pack that I have not seen as of yet and that he has come into contact with a member of my family, close enough to where he would carry their scent.

Fortunately for me, it didn't take much for me to figure this out because there was only one member of my family that I knew would have wandered this far from home, in hopes of finding his own territory to claim.

My big brother, Raiden.

Raiden was my everything to me growing up. Everything that I'd wished to be. Strong, fearless, outspoken, unforgiving to those who hurt him or those who harmed our family. He was powerful, determined, loving and it's killed me that I haven't laid eyes on my brother in two years.

Not since he'd come to the Pride after being gone for five years prior to that. I still remember the day. It was my eighteenth birthday and he'd shown up at the borders after five years of our family being broken with his disappearance. His body was riddled in wounds, face was covered with a mask and eyes were dull of any life.

And despite the fact that we all were standing there, shocked to see him again after five years, I was the first one who Raiden ran to. He'd wrapped his arms around me and just cried into my shoulder.

Up until that point, I hadn't laid eyes on my big brother since I was thirteen years old. He disappeared after Pa kicked him out at 18, due to reaching sexual maturity. The same week that I'd shifted for the first time.

Then he was just gone and my eighteenth birthday, he showed up again and cried into my shoulder and I didn't know what to make of any of it, except to cry with him.

Raiden was only home for a few months after that before he had to leave again. Onyx and Pa's Lion, Koa just couldn't be in the same vicinity without wanting to rip each other apart. It was normal for felines. We all knew it, so it wasn't a big deal, but then Raiden left and a few days after that, I hit sexual maturity and Pa gave me two choices after we got into one too many times.

Offspring submission or Exile.

Of course I chose the latter as that would have been the most reasonable for the both of us. If my father had forced me into an offspring submission, much like he'd done multiple times before, I would have submitted and then outgrown my submission and challenged my father again, so leaving was the best thing for me and him.

These past two years, Asad and I have spent majority of our time searching for Raiden and Onyx in both of our forms.

The times that Asad had control, he would search for as long as he could within the forested areas before moving onto a Human city where we could rent a hotel room and then when I took control in my form, I would search high and low within the Human community for my brother, with no luck.