14- Lovelace

They say that a part of growing up is coming to doubt things you thought you knew.

Adrien never thought he'd doubt how he perceived love.

But here he was, the day after a...sort of breakup. He had finally bit the bullet with Kagami and admitted he didn't love her, so he couldn't date her. She had taken rather well, knowing that he was telling the truth. And then confessed her own truth, that she hadn't loved him in the first place. She felt kinship and attraction to him, but it wasn't love.

His father, on the other hand, had not taken it well. Not at all.

The conversation, or lecture rather, had been rolling around in Adrien's head all morning. Try as he might, he couldn't shake it.

How could you just brush off something so awful? So world shattering?

-----

Today was the day! Marinette was certain of it. Maybe her Miraculous melded with her finally and gave her the courage. Or maybe it was the nostalgia of the rain pattering on the sidewalk. But today it was going to happen.

She was going to confess to Adrien.

She was a little late, still on time for school, but last to arrive to class. Everyone else was already seated and talking among themselves. Miss Bustier was even in, preparing for the lesson.

Marinette entered the room, eyes on target.

He looked tired, or bored, or maybe even sad. She wasn't sure. But she couldn't dwell on it. She just had to do it. Do it and say it and get it out!

"Good morning, Adrien!" She smiled, her grin large and genuine and portraying the love she felt for him.

"Oh," he blinked, his own smile coming in slowly, and dimly. "Good morning, Marinette."

She could have forced a conversation, or just made small talk, but the truth just bubbled out of her.

"I'm in love with you." She said, still smiling.

The room fell quiet, and everyone simultaneously heard her confession.

Adrien stared at her, wide-eyed and...scared? "What?"

"I love you, Adrien." She should have been nervous, but she wasn't. She should have backtracked, and weaselled her way out of it. But she just gave a little shrug. "Just thought I should tell you, finally."

He wasn't saying anything, anything at all. He just stared at her.

Everyone stared at her. Chloe, Lila, Alya, Miss Bustier, everyone.

Silence ticked by as her adrenaline gave way to embarrassment.

She just clapped her hands together. "Um, you don't have to say it back of course. Just Uh...it's something I had been meaning to say, and I just...decided to get it off my chest. So...okay..." and she awkwardly walked passed him and sat down, her face growing warmer with each step.

"Girl!" Alya whispered harshly. "What was that?!"

"My confession. I've held it long enough, so I'm finally coming clean."

"Why now? Why like that? Why all of a sudden out of nowhere?"

Marinette shrugged. "Just woke up with the courage."

Adrien, for his part, didn't dare turn around. He kept his eyes laser focused forward, unseeing.

The room broke into whispers. Complete disbelief, which was understandable.

But the clock struck the hour, and class was supposed to start. Despite the absolute bomb that had just gone off in the classroom, Miss Bustier got up and started the lesson.