3-Second Impression

Felix wasn't exactly a man of science beyond school necessities, but he was pretty sure—he could hypothesize, even—that mankind was capable of dying of boredom, and he'd be the first to go.

It wasn't as though he found it difficult to interact with people at gatherings like these. He'd been to enough of these stuffy parties and black-tie galas that he could at least pretend to be a socialite. He knew how to manipulate words and punch up cheap party tricks enough for that special class of adults who looked down their noses at everyone to laugh behind their hands and call him a master magician. And he knew how to feign laughter at comments like those, because he wasn't a magician, really. He was an illusionist. He just didn't have the time to play at semantics with these people when the only point was to get on their good sides.

(Even if he wasn't entirely sure that any of those Rossis had a good side.)

The problem was that events like these were so monotonously dull, whether they were here in France or back in London. He didn't know how much longer he could deal with the Paris elite telling him how much he'd grown. How talented he was and how excited he must be to inherit his family's line of work. How he must love the city his aunt once came to call home, and how very tragic it still was to think of her sudden disappearance. Worst of all, how interested he must be in the Agreste's fashion lines, and—to his chagrin and disdain—how very much he resembled his cousin.

The only relief he got from the last was how, whenever she overheard it, Chloe Bourgeois would fix him with a brief disgusted expression. No matter to him; the feeling was mutual, always had been. And she was the fool besides, for trying so maddeningly hard to possess Adrien in the first place, even after all these years. Even after he tied himself down to that fencing girl. Tsurugi, he thought her name was?

Well. He did it for his mother, after all. She was, and perhaps would always be, the only reason he managed to endure these things.

But no matter how much he thought of her, no matter how many hugs she gave him, or how much of the car ride back to the hotel she spent thanking him and stroking his hair, he still needed a moment to breathe. That moment found him on one of the balconies of the Grand Paris, the double doors behind him closing off the music and the gossip and leaving him only with the night light sand the strangely temperate winter weather. The city was just as he remembered it, or wanted to:buzzing with life where he couldn't quite see it, baring its teeth in a smile or bitten-out words.Inviting him to play, or scolding him for all the stiffness in his clothes and his bones and his attitude. But what did Paris know about him? And what did he care to know about it?

And, most baffling of all—why did he want to disappear into it so badly?

Before Felix could humour himself with any more questions or sink his teeth into the night air any further, a figure caught his sight of the corner of his eye. A person, strolling down the street with an irritating bounce in her step. It wasn't until she came into the streetlight that he recognized her—the dark hair, those curious eyes.

That... that girl from Adrien's video message. I-Love-You Girl. What was her name again? Marie?Madeleine? How easy it was to forget... He only hoped she'd developed some taste since he'd seen her last.

But what if he...?

Once she was close enough to the balcony, just under the streetlight, he cleared his throat to get her attention. When that didn't work, he called out, "Hey." Loud enough that she'd hear him, but not so loud that anyone else would think he was crazy.

I-Love-You Girl stopped, startled, looked around. Was she always so scatterbrained?

"Up here," he said with an exasperated sigh, leaning over the balcony and digging his chin in his hand so she could get a better look at him. When she had the sense to look, of course.