11- Wins and Losses

"Marinette? Why won't you come inside?"

His voice was so wonderful. What a romantic scene this would have made. The rain pouring down, her standing just at the gate.

If only Gabriel hadn't been so heartless. 'The Brand.' What a joke. Couldn't he see his son was happy with her?

Apparently, happiness wasn't something the Senior Agreste was familiar with.

"I'm sorry, Adrien." She said softly.

"Sorry for what?"

"We...we aren't good for each other." The tears welled up in her eyes, despite how many times she had told herself that she wasn't going to cry.

"What are you talking about? Of course we are! We love each other!"

She swallowed. "No...I don't—I don't love you anymore." And that was as much as she could say. She hated liars. She hated lying. And she had already lied to him enough by hiding her identity. So she ran. She ran across the street and into the entrance of the Subway.

Tikki came out of her purse the moment they were cleared.

"Oh Marinette..." said she, her voice thick.

"No. Don't talk to me like that." She said, gathering herself. She sighed, pushing her despair away. "This isn't over. I still love Adrien, and he loves me. I...I'm going to find a way to work this out."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm Ladybug. I always have a solution." She smiled at that, briefly. "I...I don't know what that is right now. And the thought of breaking Adrien's heart—" She clenched her eyes shut, willing away the tide of anguish. She would not get upset. Not over this. Mr. Agreste had won, but Hawkmoth wouldn't.

"Marinette!"

Oh god, he sounded so broken. Adrien was running towards her, desperation pouring from him. He stopped on the top of the stairs. "Marinette...you don't really mean...?"

Oh, he was crying. Tears rolled down his cheeks, and he looked absolutely broken.

She took a shuttering breath. "You should go back inside, Adrien. You're getting wet."

"I don't care. I just want you. Please, Marinette...what did I do? Why don't you love me anymore?"

She wiped the tear that gathered at the corner of her eye. "Adrien. Listen to me very carefully. Things are going to be okay. It hurts right now, but you need to hold onto hope. We're kids. It's not the end of the world."

"It's the end of my world!" He cried. "Why can't I be upset about this?!"

"That's why." She pointed above them.

He turned, and saw the black butterfly only a few feet above his head. He gasped.

"Adrien, please calm yourself." She begged.

Meeting her eyes, he saw her plead as something more. 'I don't want to fight you'

Although it was hard, Adrien took a deep breath and forced himself to think about something else. Ladybug was his usual happy place, so it took a little extra digging, but finally found peace in a joke that Plagg told him earlier in the day.

Things are going to be okay.

That's what she said. That's what Ladybug said. And he trusted her completely.

Although it was hard for him to take her at her word, especially when things seemed so bleak. But as he glanced up at the akuma, it was higher up now, farther from them, but still lingering.