Chaesoo: The Final Boss

[NEW SEMESTER, FEBRUARY]

First day of the new semester has ended, Jisoo hurriedly went to meet Rosé at a nearby coffeehouse. Last week out of the blue, Rosé texted her, she said she needed to talk to her.

The weather was exceptionally freezing that day; Jisoo picked a warm corner and waited for Rosé.

"Hi...Thanks for coming!" Rosé took a seat in front of Jisoo, she was smiling while taking off her coat.

They did a little bit of small talk, it wasn't that bad, but being around Rosé without Lisa or Jennie was a little awkward for Jisoo.

"I heard from Jennie that you got another scholarship this semester. Congratulations!"

"Thank you. Free-riding for another semester!" Jisoo laughed.

"She is really proud of you. All she talked about is you lately."

Jisoo's face was getting red.

"I'm glad that you two have sorted things out... Well, sort of."

"Yeah... We're good. Kind of."

She and Jennie weren't exactly in a bad place, but lately, it was hard for Jisoo to reach Jennie. Jennie was too busy with whatever she was currently doing.

"She's been busy reviewing her friend circle. You've heard about Eunwoo, haven't you?"

"I have," Jisoo gulped down her guilt.

"Jennie is a menace. Nothing can stop her," there were both pride and concern in Rosé's voice, "She's doing great so far; but like any video games, it will come down to the final battle."

Jisoo maintained her composure and waited for Rosé to elaborate.

"Kai... She's coming for Kai," Rosé said worriedly.

"Excuse me?" Jisoo tilted her head.

"She's getting rid of Kai. And I'm concerned. Like I said, she's been a menace. There were friends that she couldn't take down academically, so she messed up with their parents' business..."

"Are you saying that she's taking this too far?"

"I'm afraid so," Rosé said with a troubled voice, "We found out that Kai left his phone on purpose in her car that night."

"The 25th?"

"Yes. You saw him at Lisa's Christmas party, right?"

Jisoo nodded.

"It was planned. Before coming back to Seoul, Kai had made contacts with some of our friends. He knew that Jennie had a crush on someone..."

Jisoo nodded.

"That day, on the 24th, Kai's family found a way to be invited to our exclusive family dinner. He obviously tried to win Jennie back with some expensive Christmas gift."

Jisoo was sulking in her seat. The necklace that was better than hers.

"Jennie... she..." Rosé was hesitated, "You should understand that, their relationship ended badly. There was some unfinished business there."

"I noticed the way she looked at him that night."

"His family is expanding their business; and to be able to collaborate with the  Kim-Park group will give them so much advantages. Kai planned this. He'd been in a close contact with Eunwoo, Doyeon and some others while he was still in the US."

"For what?" Jisoo suddenly felt such a rage, no wonder she'd been hearing about Kai whenever Jennie's friends were around.

"Ultimately to win Jennie back. An arranged marriage, you know. Just like my sister and Jennie's brother."

A surge of jealousy was now filling Jisoo's chest.

"In order to do that, firstly, he needs to get rid of you," Rosé now looked uncomfortable, "He knows your background, his first step was to destroy your confidence. Of course, if that wouldn't work, we believe he will do something terrible; something that will involve your family."

"I'm not scared of him," Jisoo snapped.

"But Jennie was worried. She determines to take him down," Rosé now speak carefully, "Jisoo, this is where I need your help. You see, Jennie would do anything to protect you from him, and that includes destroying some parts of her company. She doesn't want anything to do with Kai and his family."

"Jennie shouldn't do that for me."

Rosé nodded, "I agree that she should distance herself from Kai. But personal matters should stay personal. Business is business. The collaboration between the Kim-Park group with Jongin's can't be terminated just like that. It will ruin our business, at least in the short run."

Jisoo nodded.

"She would listen to you. So, I'm asking you, can you please talk some sense into Jennie's mind? She's been a menace but I'm afraid this time it will backfire at her."

Jisoo took her time before answering, "I will. Thank you for telling me this."

"Jisoo, I am with Jennie since we were little. She has been through several break ups and broken hearts. But with you.. she's different. That night in JNK hotel? She cried because you said you didn't want to go home with her. It was so petty but she literally cried because of that. Jisoo, what I'm trying to say is... When she loves, she loves. Regardless her background or her temperament," Rosé then added, "and regardless whom she's in love with."

There was silence before finally Rosé asked the question that needed to be asked, "What are you waiting for?"

***