Jenkai

Jisoo asked Jennie to wait for a minute, she went back inside the house to retrieve her bag.

"Jisoo!!"

"Lisa!"

"Thank God, you're alive! Was Jennie mad?"

"She was upset, but she didn't dwell on it," Jisoo picked up her bag, twiddling with its strap.

"Are you going to give her the locket tonight?"

"I will..." Looking tense, Jisoo unconsciously clung on Lisa's arm, spasm of worry crossed her face.

"Jisoo... Don't be nervous." Lisa grasped her bestfriend's hands, "It's gonna be alright..."

"You sure?"  Jisoo's breath was heavy and her voice was thick and unsteady.

"I'm pretty sure... Damn it, Kim Jisoo, do you want me to accompany you? In case you faint in the middle of your speech, I can finish the sentence for you. She will understand, she knows you're a coward..."

"Wow..." Jisoo shoved Lisa's hand, "Thanks Lisa, that helps a lot!"

Lisa jeered, "No but seriously, I am pretty sure she wants this as much as you do."

"You think?"

"I'm sure, Jisoo. She's too obvious and you're too foolish to notice."

                    ***

Jisoo walked out the house, the loud music and chatters of the crowd were getting damped behind, but her heartbeat was thumping loud in ears. She went to where Jennie waited, hugging her bag tight.

There Jennie was, her face looked serene as the moonlight shone on it. That very moment reminded Jisoo of the crystal of the locket; clear and pure. Breathtaking, and the more she looked, the less satisfied she became. Slowly, she inhaled the winter air, her mind recollected the moments they had spent together and assured her heart once again that this was what they both had wanted for long time.

Before she took another step closer, someone walked towards Jennie.

"Jennie..."

Jisoo's heart suddenly dropped to her stomach.

It was the man Jisoo saw at the jewelry boutique that day. She remembered that strong face, the unwavering gesture of him. She stopped where she was.

Jennie lifted her face and softly spoke, "Kai?"

A chill suddenly made its way into Jisoo's soul.

There was something about Jennie's face that bothered her, under the light of the moon, Jisoo could see pain; and the sound of her quavering voice troubled her.

"What are you doing here?"

The man Jennie called Kai walked towards her, "I left my phone in your car."

Jennie looked at the direction of the house, Jisoo quickly made herself hidden from her sight. She couldn't see them, but she still could hear clearly.

"I tracked it here," Kai said. "I tried to call you but you didn't pick up."

"You're not suppose to be here..."

"I'm- I'm sorry," he sounded hesitant, "I was just going to pick up my phone. My carelessness-"

"Damn it! Kai please go home! I'm going to ask one of my assistants to fetch it back to you tonight but please, can you just..."

There was a silent second for both the man and Jisoo to try to figure out what was going on.

"Alright," the man finally said, "I'm sorry I didn't know you were in the middle of something."

"Just... leave. Kai. Please."

A few moments later, Jisoo heard his footsteps slowly fading away and the sound of the loud of music faintly filled the air again.

She silently walked away. Back inside the house she went, her bag close to her chest where it wounded and she didn't know exactly why.

                    ***