~: The Shadow :~

🖤 Lillith 🖤

I sat on the passenger seat, my thoughts scattered all over the place. Victor insisted and took over the driving. The ride back was eerily silent. My Mustang came to a stop and I came out of my thoughts. Le Altezza stands proud and tall in front of my eyes.

"What are we doing here?" - I asked.
"I thought after everything you would want to come back home." - He replied, his expression impassive.

HOME to me always meant the place where I'm safe and contented. Unfortunately, I never had a home until Victor.
"Do you stay here?" - I looked at him and he looked back. His eyes glistened with unknown emotions.
"It's not much, but it's safe and warm." - He stated and went out, coming over to my side, opening the door, took my hand and we went inside together.

I can never completely estimate how much power Victor holds in this world. The sudden hush that engulfed the space since the moment we stepped in was overwhelming. We took the elevator and went up to the penthouse. The elevator dinged and we got inside the suite.

The sight that greeted my eyes made me bite back a gasp. The far wall of the huge space is nothing but glass. Endless wall of glass. The skyline of the City with the dark clouds in the sky made the view stunning. I'd never in my entire life seen something so vivid, so raw, so enigmatic. My hungry eyes roved over the entire glass wall and then I pried my eyes away from the spectacular view and focused towards the rest of the space.

The interior huge and spacious, was surprisingly inviting. I didn't know what I had expected but not this. The large living area was done in various tones of black and grey with contrasting yet complementing furniture. The couches were plush ice grey with tables all glass and steel atop white rugs. The marble floor was black and streaked with gold, contrasting beautifully with the entire decor. Beside the fireplace was one black door beside which a staircase curved to the level above.

My eyes finally found Victor, and he tilted his head, indicating the door at the far end.
"That's the master bedroom. The guest room is up the stairs. Choose whichever you prefer." - He spoke, his voice sending shivers over me that I barely concealed.

Before I could reply, he turned back towards the elevator.
"You think it's decent to run away without having a proper conversation?" - I quipped, disbelieving his audacity.
He paused, but entered the elevator, turning around to face me, his face a clear mask.
"I've nothing else to say, Lillith. We're done with this conversation."

The doors closed.

I went all around the house, looking and remembering every little thing. After my entire stroll around the house, I made a cup of coffee for myself and sat in front of the huge expanse of the glass. The dark clouds rumbled and lightning split the sky into halves. The thunder shuddered the glass but I felt relieved. The weather outside matched my inner turmoil. I didn't even realize when I fell asleep on those cold floors. My phone vibrated with a notification from the hospital Dante was in but I didn't check. I was too tired to go through any of those again.

🩶 Dante 🩶

Opening my eyes, it felt like waking up from a deep slumber. Everything is white and that stinky smell of life and death, the faint but unmistakable scent of blood and pus seeping through a veil of antiseptic.

And that's when I noticed that shadow. Standing right in front of my bed. His face was covered in all black. There was a numbness in my body and I couldn't move but my eyes averted along with the movement of the shadow.

His hands went right inside his pocket and he brought a syringe from one and a small bottle from the other.
Botulinum toxin and VX.
The same toxin I had used to kill Denvrick Mordino.
The leader.
The black dagger that's now with Verena belonged to him. He loved it and I used it against him.
The same night when Verena went lost.
It took me everything to kill the leader of the syndicate but if he lived, Verena's life would've been at stake. Her past. I couldn't afford it.
I love her.
And I did whatever it took to protect her.
To protect my Mia Cara.

The shadow came over my left side and dipped the nozzle of the syringe into the vial drawing out the entire fluid. He then pumped the syringe into the saline bottle, emptying it fully.
"Rest In Peace." - He said and walked out of the door.

I know that voice.
It can't be him.
I tried to scream but couldn't and it took just a few seconds for the toxin to work.
The smell of the hospital, the taste of those medicines, and the excruciating pain, all floated away.
Slowly.
The room became a blur and nothingness took over my eyes. Ears went numb and lungs couldn't be felt.
Darkness took over everything.

"Mia Cara!!"

The only word that came to mind.
How much I loved her.
How much she misunderstood me.
So many secrets.
So many words left to say.
The truth.
The King.
Her Past.
The Ring.

And then it's gone.
All of it.