Chapter 42

"Elsa, can I have a word?" I started with. She replied "Yes, pick a word, any word." The humour was there but clearly forced, I could see her uneasy position in life at the current time. Not with me talking, but with the whole concept of the coronation. "I want a chat," with her replying "I know." I began my point. "You know that this is your day, not his anymore, you can do it your way without any identity to his. There is no need for you to have to practice that pose." She thought this over for a minute before sitting on the sofa and saying, "I know that, but his worked and he never had a problem of ice. I have a lot of differences to him and if I try to make mine the same then nothing should go wrong." Once she finished, I sat down beside her on the sofa and said in response, "Is that guaranteed, no, what is though is your safety. There will be thirty new guards on watch as well as me on high alert so if something goes wrong then you won't need to worry. There is no need to have it anything like your father's, have it like Elsa's, whatever that way may be." Then, quickly, she came out with her greatest fear. "What if the worst happens and I freeze something? How will I be safe then? Do you think that thirty money-grabbing guards will stick by me then?" In an automatic response, I said "No but I, the volunteer, will. Twelve years I have known your secret and I haven't disappeared yet. I haven't been paid a penny by John and yet here I am." I realised she had thought this through when she said back, "I know you will, you always do, but how will you ever manage to hold off all the guests who will want me dead on your own." I paused for a moment as Elsa began to think that she had cracked the loophole. I saw no solution so I suggested, "Would it help at all if we made an escape plan!" "Yes," she replied. So we sat down for an hour and decided upon an escape plan for the worst case scenario. In the end it was, Elsa would take her chances and run through any crowds to the docks. Meanwhile, I would go up to our quarters and fetch some food supplies. This would already be made into a quick grab parcel in a rucksack. Elsa would then take one route down to and most likely around fjords and up to the North Mountain's three quarter way point. I would take a different path to the North Mountain. Here, we would reunite to discuss our next step considering the circumstances. This, in the end, satisfied Elsa and got rid of her immediate worries and with reassurance from me was content, so we went to sleep.