Chapter 15

Once I started the job, Elsa now had someone who was always there that she could talk to. This was a strange thing for her to encounter so it aided the light days to shine through the darkness into existence. On light days, she never stopped. She was always doing something, whether it is scrubbing the carpets in mine and her quarters, or simply just dusting. She was also always willing to talk. Fifteen years of isolation takes its toll on someone. Sometimes she talked about what she did before I was employed. "I'd just sit in the armchair and look around me, admiring the designs. I'd imagine in my head how they were drawn, who drew them, when were they drawn. Other times I'd stare out the window. I could only see a little as the windows were half boarded up, but I could just about see the rooftops. I tried my best to take in as much as I could of civilisation at a time. However, this was basically nothing. When I wasn't doing either of these, I mostly tried to control my powers. I had a ball that used to be here and I practised with. It was either this or a pin cushion. I always managed to freeze it okay. Sometimes I managed to turn it into a solid ice block of ball. But I never once managed to thaw it out again at will. It only ever thawed in time. This never stopped me trying though. I would try for hours on end to try and thaw it out. Each time working up the frustration with myself until I gave up and retired to my corner in sulk, only then rising out of it for tea. This was every day for me; I had absolutely nothing else that I could do. The only exceptions were days I was visited by my parents. But these days were still very similar as all that was different was an audience to my failure. Their attempts at motivation never worked on me and their deaths destroyed me inside. I'll admit now that half an hour before you first appeared, I had just finished letting everything out on the room. Everything was just building up and this was the only way I know possible to let it all loose. It only partially worked. With my parents just dying it turned all frustration at the time into blame and utter sadness."