Chapter 20

That reminds me, before this point when she was still testing her drawing theories, she managed to get close to one of the designs using her powers by moving her finger in the pattern's shape on the table. In sight of this she started to get thinking. At the time, I was just finishing off putting all the plates away from the just past lunch. I was considering heading up to john to get some trade work that would occupy my time for the next four hours before dinner. I, being in the other room, thought that Elsa had started back into her artwork as it was only day three of her testing of her theories. She took me by surprise when she arrived in the archway and asked "Why do you never seem to be affected by the cold that I let out when I freeze up the walls?" When I looked around she was gone. I went over to the arch myself and peered in to see her back at her icy pattern studying it ever so carefully. I remained silent for the meantime. She continued to look at her pattern in a very critical manner before finally swinging herself around away from it in disapproval. She then looked back up at me and then started to expect an answer. So I give her one, "Well, all my life before now and including now has included the cold. In my childhood I lived at the foot of the mountain just out of the village." Then I gestured to it out of the window, "Just over there. Up there it was shaded all year round and snowed more willingly and heavily in the winter." At a glance, I saw the worried look of wonder that spread across Elsa's face. I could immediately tell that she thought that this snow was of her doing. I put her mind at rest and assured her that it wasn't. "Don't worry, it wasn't anything you caused, I can tell the difference in yours and the naturally formed one" then, noticing her change back to the expectance of the story I proceeded with the tale. "Through my schooling, I had to sit in the shaded areas out of the beating heat of the sun. I insisted that the windows were opened on both hot and colder days. In winter, I sat at the window to keep cooler than sitting near the fire that the school lit in the classroom's fireplace. Coming close to the end of my final year at school, we had a final PE exam. It was called the cold and hot temperature endurance test. In this we stayed in a cooled and heated room for as long as we possibly could to see how we fared in those types of conditions. At the end of the year, in our graduation ceremony, we were all awarded titles that were based around the results of the test. In my hot weather test I was pathetic as I could only muster a mere five minutes and reaching only 22˚C. This was the lowest in the year group. However, in the cold, I did a lot better as I managed to survive through one hour and thirty-eight minutes of testing and reaching a temperature of -23.5˚C. This was a new school record. Only two people out of one-hundred and forty were given the title of cold endurance. Obviously me, and another girl who made it to -9˚C and only got the title as she refused to go in the hot machine as it would ruin her hair. Everyone who exceeded thirty degrees immigrated to a warmer place that here such as Spain or Hungary. The few that remained here are the ones who are now taking up the jobs for the future of Arendelle like the apprentice blacksmiths and maids. And of course I'm here with you. So to answer your question, I am cold resistant because of my nature and upbringing." Elsa who had meanwhile taken a seat in her armchair, sat quiet for a while  before saying back," I would definitely have been cold weather endurance in that test." I laughed and said "Elsa, you would have broken the machine as it attempted crack you." She nodded and said "Probably," while she held back a laugh. Now content, we both continued on as normal. After a year and a half of knowing each other, it becomes possible just to do that.