Chapter 39

Upon arrival at the door of John's office, I entered after seeing a queue of men standing outside of it already. They were standing, lent up against the wall, fully kitted out in the palace guard uniform. This was a hat and long blazer, the one below my status. Baffled and slightly anxious of my job security, I became nosy and asked john what was all that about. He then smiled and explained out to me that due to my position as Elsa's personal guard, I would be promoted to the palace's head of security and queen's hand. He then sat down the contract before me. I took the time to read it to ensure that there were no loopholes. To sum it all up, it said that if I sign this contract then I will automatically have no option to back out of my job as Elsa's right hand man without death being involved. Establishing that there were no loopholes, this became an incredibly easy thing to sign. I told Elsa on day one that I give up on no one and I refuse to break that promise. He then continued and said that after I signed the contract, it meant that I was now unofficially employed as the head of security and as soon as Elsa held the orb and sceptre it would be official. Then, still wondering why the men were lining up, I re-asked why. Finally, he told me that the men standing outside were all candidates for guard jobs. As the King and queen had died four years ago and there was not any real royalty in power, the guards that were in place during the King and Queen's reign were made redundant to the point where only five remained including me. However, as Elsa was soon to become the queen, she would then become a lot more sought after by the paparazzi and ran the risk of bounty hunters wanting to assassinate her. So, despite the fact that I would still be there to protect her from this threat and Arendelle was peaceful enough and had no bounty hunters, we needed to employ the guards back again to help with any threats. I would still be maintaining my old job on top of my new one but the guards would be needed also for my safety (because I'm sooooooo important). The men outside were there to be interviewed for the guard jobs, some were guards before and others were not. Once John had explained it all out he added one final thing at the end that was a real worry for both Elsa and I. He said "If Elsa's secret was ever to come out, then the guards will almost certainly abandon you and you will be completely on your own." Keeping these words at the forefront of my mind, both John and I took the next three hours to interview and select the best twenty-five men out of the forty for the guard jobs. I made sure that all of the men were trustworthy enough, noble or stupid so if the worst did occur then there was the chance that they wouldn't completely abandon us or turn on us. The stupid ones were likely to turn on us but here the plan was to outwit them. If they were too strong or intelligent, I let them go.