Chapter 9

We then settled into a routine. I no longer needed the house I owned on the hill in Arendelle so I rented it out cheap to a family so I would have a little money coming in. Elsa had a small table in her room and I had a supply of all the equipment you would need to cook as well as plenty of personal space for my belongings in my quarters. She had little furniture at first, just the sofa, armchair, table and a mantelpiece which was still unused. All the food for each day was delivered to my quarter's door in the morning at about seven. I then used this to cook a decent meal for both of us. It was never anything to small, big or fattening, always just right. While I would cook Elsa would have sat and watched me taking notes in her mind. She kept her word from what she said on day one about trying to learn from me as a teacher. Most things she managed to grasp the concept of but cooking, however, was not one of them. Eventually after many attempts and black failures she accepted that it was no longer needed of her to be able to cook. Each time she tried it ate out of our food for the day without anything to show for it. I encouraged her to stop trying and in the end she did coming up with the excuse "I always burn it when I try, besides, you're a lot better at it than I ever will ". I knew this was only her excuse but I always accepted it as a valid reason as it was all too true. Also, I wasn't too keen on having her doing anything too much with little success as it would risk evoking the depression that still controlled her and ultimately the ice. As I had said before, she managed to learn almost everything else. After a month being employed and teaching her, she took it upon herself to never let me clean anything in either my own or her quarters. She kept herself occupied in her cleaning and a developing taste for art. The one thing that she did let me do as regarding cleaning was the dishes after meals. I had to wash and she dried. This was the way it had to be after we learnt the hard way why she couldn't wash when she trapped her hand in the water when her power froze it around her hand. As you well know, she still had no clue about how to thaw the ice at this stage. I never asked her to try and see if she could, her parents did that all too often before they died. It was the castle's supply of hot tap water that got us out of that particular mess.