Chapter 19

Elsa never was capable of drawing the patterns on the walls. She got pretty close, closer than I could ever imagine I could get, but she was never happy with her attempts. For her, it had to be immaculate. She tried and tried again for a full week to perfect them without success. When I say a week then I really mean six days of solid drawing with the final dark day at the end where she never got up from her bed in complete fatigue. In the eighth day I thought that I was going to have to give her a pep talk but she beat me to it and said one to me instead. She came up to me while I was cooking our breakfasts. I remember that she startled me as I did not expect to see her up. She said " So maybe I can't draw it exact, who cares anymore, I don't, I'll try a different way now to see if that makes a difference to the way it turns out." In amazement I burnt one side of the pancakes that I was cooking for our breakfasts. I didn't care though. I could see that since the first day I arrived, she was learning and healing every day. Before, she never would have been able to say that to herself but instead just become depressed as ever over something so small. On lighter days, she was a girl on a mission and there was basically nothing that could stand in her way. But, on dark days she was as if the lighter ones didn't exist. However, on a rare occasion she did manage to turn a dark day around. It was this new found ability that made me think that whatever I was doing was making a difference. Despite this, she remained very fragile. She was fine with a small setback but a bigger one of a big event would set her off worrying and panicking and then ultimately send her into her depression zone. I knew that to keep her stable the last thing we needed to have was an ice incident, but I never worried Elsa with that thought. Anyway, breakfast that morning was terrible. Elsa made that very clear by saying "This is a board that you've cooked."  I laughed while she couldn't hold back a smile in an attempt to hold a serious face. It was this humour that inspired us both to battle the darker days. We could easily crack a joke to each other at any time without any offense being taken. Anyway, within three days of this she had created a completely perfect replica according to her standards of one of the designs on the wall. It was an unusual way that she did so too as she managed it through embroidery on to a piece of fabric. After finally accomplishing this she decided that she'd create her own design and embroider it on to the back of both of her white gloves that had been given to her by her father. She had kept these on permanently and had bought a collection of identical gloves so that she did not have to be without her gloves for any period of time. She saw it as if she kept them on constantly then nobody could be hurt ever again by her powers as they were concealed behind the gloves. Though, their primary use, considering her isolation, was just to stop her from freezing things by only touching them.  I never forced her to keep them on all the time; it was completely her own decision to do so. However, it was this new discovery of her skills in embroidery that ignited the first of her hobbies which was tailoring clothing. She started off with smaller things. The very first items that she made were those disposable handkerchiefs. At times she even managed to draw the courage to develop her powers into the designs temporarily.