Chapter 41

At around the eight months to go mark, Elsa calmed down the production of selling dresses to almost a standstill to Martha's dislike. She only made one dress a week now. She did so as she was going to have to start work on her coronation dress. Normally, a specialised dress designer was the one who made the coronation dress but Elsa had insisted that she was going to make her own dress despite many tempting offers from top dress designers. This would mean that she was to be the very first monarch of Arendelle that would make their own coronation outfit. However, once she started, she discovered that this was going to be a longer process that any other dress. This dress was to be on show to many other monarchs and dignitaries so therefore it had to be immaculate. For the first month all she did was get me to take measurements of her so that she knew precisely what it had to be like so it fit her without a single crease in the fabric. Everything had to be millimetre perfect. At the end of the measuring month and when she finally happy with all measurements and once she had all averages, I physically couldn't finish a sentence without the word centimetres as I had measured that much. She then set down to work on making the dress. For the actual dress itself, the process was not too much different to her normal dresses. However, she did still take it very slow so there were no mistakes made. There was no room for error. It was this drive for pure perfection that she thought she needed to achieve that first ignited the stress and the more frequent dark days that came on the approach to the coronation day. As it was getting closer to that fateful day, Anna had also started to appear more often and started to preach about how good the day was going to be for her. Elsa had originally wanted to also make the dress for Anna but she came to the conclusion that being near her so she could take measurements herself was just going to be awkward, and most importantly, arise too many bad memories. But with the visiting, both Elsa and I knew that, as normal, neither of us wanted to hear her ramble so I told her something up such as, "Elsa cannot talk right now as she is going through a delicate stage in the making of her dress." In reality, she might only have been embroidering a pattern. This was something that she would have done at least once a day if not more. The only additions to a normal dress were that she needed to put on a double-layered fabric and a turtle neck. She also had to have the traditional separated fleur-di-lis. This did take up a little extra time but that didn't stop her finishing it within two and a half weeks. The hardest bit for her though was the cloak. This needed to be cut out from a rectangular shape to the net of a frustum and also needed its surface area to be completely decorated from its plain royal purple. This took her four months alone. The day after it was made, she wore it around for a while to make sure it was a comfortable fit. After one or two adjustments it was then stored ever so carefully, in the wardrobe. With this done, her mind became free to think about the upcoming pressures. This was not a good thing for her to do. In her thought she would stare at the hanging picture of her father at his coronation above the dressing table. She studied the stance he used and how he held the orb and sceptre. She was soon starting to copy his stance. Upon seeing her doing this once or twice, I decided to have a talk with her.