Chapter 26 - Defending the City

Chapter 26 – Defending the City

Desert wasteland
Arlington County, VA
Friday, May 1, 2076
11:57 EST GMT-5

Now that I had control of the jet, I was familiarizing myself with its weapons system. It had a variety of machine guns, plasma guns and even homing missiles. I just started shooting away all marauder and mutant vehicles I saw. I.V.A.N.A also assisted me, pointing out enemies and scouring their locations.

"Ace, you need to make sure the home missiles are only fired at enemies, far from the force field." I.V.A.N.A said. "Use your machine guns and plasma guns instead for the rest!"

"Got it!" I told my AI.

"By the way, this jet is powered by systems created by Perkins Software and AI." I.V.A.N.A said.

"Very enlightening." I commented.

I continued to shoot the monsters, both mutant and marauders until there was no more left. It wasn't easy, I spent a good twenty-seven minutes on it. Then I left the console. I went back towards Wheeler, who was now making an announcement on the PA system.

"WELL RESPECTED CITIZENS OF VERTIGO TOWN, THE CITY IS SAFE! I REPEAT, THE CITY IS SAFE! SORRY FOR THE INCONVNIENCE! YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR PLANNED PROGRAMS!" announced Wheeler.

"Yeah, the city is safe for now! So, is there a remedy to this permanently?" I asked Wheeler.

"For now, we can only hold off on this, whenever we can. Only the Gunsmith Battalion would be powerful to take out those rogue enemy soldiers. However, as you know they're not really on anyone's side. We can't trust them." Wheeler explained.

"Why do they even abhor us?" I needed to ask.

"Well, they wanted everyone to leave the fate of the world to them and machines, to increase the universal basic income, and have no jobs at all. While some were in agreement, most preferred to struggle, put in hard work and make ends meet." Wheeler explained further. "It came to a point, where everyone decided to agree on just staying in seclusion, from the outside city world. While only the bravest and strongest go out, to fight for everyone else's rights, in a time, where we've regressed to a world of confinement, as the Nazis tried during World War II."

"Oh, you don't say?" I chuckled.

"Meet me at the arena, I may have one last test for you!" said Wheeler.

"Got it!" I said.