Chapter 25 - Marauders Attacking the City

Chapter 25 – Marauders Attacking the City

Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Friday, May 1, 2076
11:24 EST GMT-5

I wasn't going to report back to work until Monday, and Ashley approved me working six-hour days from Monday to Thursday. So, I decided to go shopping with my ladylove. We checked out some stores, where shopping malls used to be. While most places were still around, boarded with OUT OF BUSINESS signs, some still were around, selling products at very negligible costs, some people used for decades, like clothing, house decorations, and some fast-food places; although even these industries have long moved online, including the latter, through social media like Instagram, TikTok and delivery apps.

"Baby, I won't lie to you. While I miss our time, how it was growing up, and how our present was before hibernation, I'm now coming to accept that this is our home, this is our world now. We're living in the future, forty-two years ahead of the time which we missed. But that doesn't mean I'm not thankful, I love you!" exclaimed myself to my love.

"Yes, I concur!" exclaimed Aurora. "Although, Austin, I miss home, before this all happened, and I was initially bummed, I now accept that we are home!"

"Welp, while most of the planet is now a desert and the average global temperature is now high, thanks to accelerated global warming, it's still a blessing to be alive!" I told my girlfriend, then I kissed her.

I then got down on my knees and took out a small box. I opened it, to show her a ring, with a big diamond on it. I bought online at Kay Jewelers website, as a result of all its physical branches closing down for good.

"Julia Arianna Walker, will you marry me?" I asked Aurora.

"Yes!" exclaimed Aurora, as she shed tears.

Coincidentally, Ranger was there too, and he saw the whole thing. He clapped. We both kissed some more. However, our joyful moment was short-lived, when suddenly the large public announcement speaker blew off.

"ATTENTION! ALL CITIZENS OF VERTIGO TOWN! THIS IS YOUR MAYOR!" shouted Wheeler over the PA system. "I NEED EVERYONE TO IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO YOUR HOMES! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! WE ARE UNDER ATTACK! MARAUDERS ARE ATTEMPTING TO BREACH OUR CITY DEFENSES! I REPEAT, RETURN TO YOUR HOMES IMMEDIATELY! WE WILL HAVE ALL CITY AND ROBOTS ESCORT EVERYONE BACK HOME! THE KING CALLS AN ACE! THE KING CALLS AN ACE!"

I immediately understood the last two sentences, 'The king calls an ace!'. As per my call-sign, 'Ace'. Wheeler was in danger.

"Aurora, go home, immediately! Ranger, grab the sheriff and round up all lawmen in the city, and robots too! I'll go to Wheeler's office and see what's going on!" I instructed my teammates.

"Ace, be safe!" said Ranger.

"Come back home, soon!" said Aurora.

I then ran to the mayor's office. It was only about half a mile away. Upon getting there, I saw Wheeler, hiding under his desk.

"Wheeler's what's wrong?" I asked.

"I need you to take a fighter jet and stop those marauders and mutants! They are attacking our city and trying to breach the defenses and force field!" said Wheeler. "The force field is impenetrable, but it also has a weakness, to plasma weapons, which can create holes in the barrier, as if it's fabric!"

"What happened to laying low?" I asked.

"The fighter jet is one hundred percent autonomous, but you'll be able to hack and control it, and take out those goons." Wheeler explained.

"I'm on it!" I agreed to the mission.

"Good luck!" said Wheeler.

I then went into Wheeler's garage, and as mentioned, he indeed had a fighter jet. It was mid-sized, capable of fitting two people, and the controls were right next to it. Without thinking twice, I got to the controls, and started the jet, the ceiling hatch opened as the jet began to ascend, and then it took off. I was able to see the front view, through an OLED screen in front of me.