Chapter 39 - The State Cracks Down Hard

Chapter 39 – The State Cracks Down Hard

Ace's home, Vertigo Town
Arlington County, VA
Tuesday, May 5, 2076
11:14 EST GMT-5

My morning was spent sleeping. I decided to sleep in, as I was dead tired. Aurora and I slept in the same room, my room last night. I woke up and asked I.V.A.N.A to open the windows. The sun came through the windows, and it felt good.

"Julia, are you okay?" I asked my girlfriend, who just woke up.

"Yeah, I'm not happy that I can't go to work right now, due to this sudden martial law." Aurora said. "I wish Jerry had work for me to do at home."

"It just so happens; the government is allowing certain essential workers to return to work. Jerry emailed you a letter to show to the patrol if they ask where you're going. Sort of like when COVID came back in 2020, and people were in lockdown." I.V.A.N.A said. "Print it out and show it to them."

"Got it!" said Aurora. "Alright, Ace! See you tonight at eight."

"Same. I'm about to start my day too!" I said to my love.

I then got to it, by installing the equipment, getting everything set up and logging in. For one, it felt bad having to do all this at home, but I couldn't let my new world become a threat for me. Granted we were still in the right place, but in the wrong time, life only moves on, so should we.

"I.V.A.N.A, turn on the TV!" I said to my AI. "And put on some local news. I'll watch some as I work."

"Yes, sir!" said I.V.A.N.A.

The TV turned on and the news reporter, much to my surprise, was not a human, but an AI speaking in the background. The female virtual voice, begun to narrate today's story.

"In a bizarre turn of events, the United States has been declared an unstable and unsafe country to live in, along with its neighboring countries Mexico, Canada, and many countries in South America, spreading to Europe, Africa, Australia, all Asia, and Mainland China. Ever since the Mithra asteroid hit the planet back in 2034, contaminating everything and everyone, along with prior technological progress and economic collapses in the twenty years prior to it. In spite of the growing threats of mutants, corrupt authorities, hostile robots and criminal marauders, the human population on and migration to the Moon, Mars, and Mars' two moons, Phobos and Deimos has only increased. In more recent news, the authorities are now looking for two young beings, a man and a woman, who have invaded the Gunsmith Battalion's private meeting, and launched a hostile attack on the leader, George Kilmann, himself!"

"Bullshit!" I said in anger. "He tried to kill us, so we attacked in self-defense."

"It's good they don't come looking for you!" said I.V.A.N.A. "I'm only software, but I know they've done terrible things to people."