𝟎𝟐𝟒

Chapter twenty four
lovebirds.

There were bright lights blinding me as I drove. I didn't know where I was, but it seemed like I was on some coastal Highway driving along with muffled music playing. I couldn't make out what song was playing, but it wasn't a good beat at all. I look down at the centre console and move my hand around until I found the little nob to turn the music down. But, no matter how much I turn the nob, the music level wouldn't change which made me grow impatient.

"Stupid junk." I mutter to myself as I twisted it again.

I try turning it the other way and this time the music blasted full volume making me jump and try to turn it back down.

I was so focused on the music that I didn't even notice a bright light shining in front of me, growing closer and closer until...

I quickly sat up, breathing heavily with light sweat on my nose.

"Hey, hey, hey. You okay?" I jumped a little until I realized it was Vinnie. He rubbed my back and moved some hair out of my face. "Mads?"

I nodded and let out a breath. "Yeah."

"Nightmare?" He asked and moved so I could now see his face in the light from the hallway being let in by the spaces around my bedroom door. His hair was a little messy with his curls fluffier than usual.

"Not really. I think I died." I laugh lightly.

"Ah. I've had a few of those." His hand rubs my thigh soothingly. "I feel like I fell from something then I wake up." He chuckles.

"I'm pretty sure my one was a car crash or I swerved off a road." I frown at the recent memory. "I think it's because I've been thinking about my mom too much." I admit.

It was silent for a moment while Vinnie continues to rub my thigh. I had calmed down now and the embarrassment was starting to hit me. "Sorry, I never do this."

"Don't apologize, Mads. Todays been a little hectic for you." I can hear the awkwardness in his voice as he says this. "Why don't you try going back to sleep. I'm here if you need anything." He moved his hand and brought the sheet back up and over my legs.

"Can you pass me the water, please?" I ask. I could still feel the effects from the alcohol and it wasn't as good of a feeling as it was a few hours ago.

He reached over me and grabbed the water. "Oh, sorry I thought it was on your side." I mumble as he passes it to me.

"It's okay." He smiled softly as the light gently hit his face.

I take a sip then close the lid and put it back on the table.

I lay back down and he brings the sheet over me as he also lays down. "Thank you." I smile at him even though he can't see it.

"Of course. And it's okay to think about your mom. You can tell me about her whenever you want if that helps you." He tucks my hair behind my ear sending a chill down my spine. Small touches like these are a quick way to make me melt.

"Thank you." I move closer and lay my arm over his torso.

He catches me by surprise when he moves to lay on his back and gently pulls me on top of him with his arms wrapped around my waist. A smile grows on my lips as we become face to face. "Is this okay?" He asked quietly.