[29]

Bella groaned as she stumbled out of bed, her body feeling off. She clutched her stomach as a wave of nausea hit her, and she made her way to the bathroom. Edward followed her, concern etched on his face as he watched her retch into the toilet. He held her hair back and rubbed her back, murmuring soothing words.

As she finished, she leaned back against him, feeling weak and shaky. Edward lifted her up in his arms and carried her back to bed, laying her down gently. Bella closed her eyes and took deep breaths, trying to steady her breathing.

"It's just morning sickness," she whispered, her voice hoarse. "It'll go away soon."

Edward nodded, stroking her hair. "I know," he said softly. "I've seen it before."

Bella's eyes snapped open in surprise. "What? How?"

Edward hesitated before answering. "I could feel it," he said finally. "The bond between us, it's...different now. I can feel your heightened emotions, almost like they're my own. And when you conceived, I felt it too."

Bella's eyes widened in shock. "The mating bond," she whispered. "It's not just a myth."

Edward shook his head. "No, it's real. And it's strong. But we'll talk to Carlisle about it later. Right now, we need to take care of you."

Bella nodded weakly, grateful for Edward's comforting presence. She leaned her head against his chest. "We should go downstairs."

***

Esme was already there, preparing breakfast. "Good morning, Bella," she said with a smile.

"Good morning, Esme," Bella replied, trying to keep a smile on her face despite the nausea.

Esme noticed the look on Bella's face and immediately knew what was wrong. "Are you feeling alright, dear?" she asked with concern.

Bella nodded, "I'll be fine, just a little morning sickness."

Esme nodded and finished making breakfast, which was scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. Bella sat down at the table and tried to eat, but the smell of the eggs made her stomach turn.

She pushed the plate away, "I'm sorry, Esme. I can't eat this right now."

Esme smiled sympathetically, "It's alright, dear. Don't worry about it."

Just then, Carlisle walked in. "Good morning, Bella. How are you feeling?" he asked.

Bella smiled weakly, "Morning sickness has already kicked in."

Carlisle nodded, "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm going to be working from home today, so I'll be able to keep an eye on you."

***

After breakfast, they all sat in the living room, discussing what they had learned about mermaids and trying to come up with a plan.

Bella was quiet for most of the conversation, lost in thought about the fact that she was pregnant. Edward noticed her quietness and put his arm around her, holding her close.

"Bella, are you okay?" he asked softly.

Bella looked up at him and smiled, "I'm fine, just a little overwhelmed, I guess. I never thought this was possible, and I love it, but at the same time, I'm scared too."

Edward took her hand and kissed it, "I'm scared too. I don't want to lose you or the baby."

Bella put her hand on her stomach, "We'll be okay. This is a miracle, Edward. We'll figure it out together."

Edward nodded and leaned in to kiss her. Bella's stomach turned, and she pulled away quickly, running to the bathroom to throw up again.

Edward followed her, holding her hair back as she threw up. "I'm sorry, Bella. I didn't mean to make you sick."