[23]

Bella sat in the living room, surrounded by the Cullens. She was still in shock after the revelation that her mother was actually a mermaid queen, and that she had been kept hidden and protected her whole life. She glanced over at Edward, who was sitting beside her, his hand firmly grasping hers. She could see the worry etched on his face, and it made her heart ache.

Suddenly, Alice spoke up. "We need to figure out what's going on. We can't just sit here and do nothing."

Carlisle nodded. "She's right. We need to start investigating these attacks. It could be a vampire, or even humans with a deep-seated hatred for mermaids."

Jasper interjected, "What about the Volturi? Can we really trust them?"

Emmett snorted. "Trust the Volturi? That's a good one."

Carlisle shook his head. "I don't think they're involved. I've had dealings with them before, and there was never any mention of them experimenting on other species."

"But they could still be involved, even if you were there," Emmett argued.

Alice frowned. "I can't see anything specific, but I do see danger surrounding Bella."

Edward's grip on Bella's hand tightened. "We need to protect her."

Carlisle nodded. "We'll do everything we can to keep her safe. But we need to gather more information first. Bella, do you know of any other supernatural creatures that could be involved?"

Bella furrowed her brow in thought. "Well, there's always the werewolves. And I've heard of other supernatural creatures, but I don't know much about them."

Esme placed a comforting hand on Bella's shoulder. "We'll do some research, and we'll keep an eye on you, Bella. We won't let anything happen to you."

Bella nodded, grateful for the support. She still couldn't believe everything that had been revealed to her in just a few short hours. 

As the family meeting came to an end, Bella retreated to her room, deep in thought. She couldn't shake the feeling of impending danger, and she knew that she needed to be cautious. But with the Cullens by her side, she felt like she could face anything.