Chapter 88: Grief

After the encounter with the vampires, the president launched his team to check all the villages. What happened didn't remain hidden from normal people. It was all over the upper border. The security became tighter. The entrance of the upper border is now being guarded by multiple authorities from the president and this includes powered ones.

The people that were saved were so thankful. After being pulled out from that building, the assigned team checked them in case they had injuries and others.

Meanwhile, the girls went back to the house an hour after the patrols cleared the whole place where the attack happened.

Everything inside the building was now ashes. Nothing left but the wasted walls of the building.

It was not just a tiring and devastating night for the girls, it was more than that, especially since they lost their friends in just one night.

The day that was supposed to be happy turned into something no one ever expected. And as the moment is still fresh, everyone blames themselves for not saving the three girls.

Y/N went upstairs as soon as they got back in the house. Instead of going to her room, she headed straight to Amy's.

The dark room is even darker for Y/N knowing that the person who is supposed to occupy the room had left them already.

Y/N can't help but blame herself again. Maybe if she could have been tougher, maybe if she could have been braver to get on the fire, or maybe if she didn't let her eyes off the kid... Maybe she's still right there.

Y/N sat on the floor as she cried silently through pain. She wanted to scream, she wanted to release the frustration and anger she was feeling towards herself but she can't. Only her tears could be produced by her messed up emotions.

The other girls are also feeling the same. Especially the ones who've been with the three girls.

Karina cried unstoppable as she thinks of the moments she had with girls, especially with Kyujin and Leeseo. She technically saw them grow up.

Meanwhile, the royalties and Giselle can't do anything but comfort the ones who lost their friends.

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Nayeon said as she sat beside the girl and hugged her.

Y/N didn't stop. She does not care if she'll look vulnerable in front of Nayeon. That's one thing she's not afraid to show her. Y/N continued to cry, the same cry she did when she first lost her friends.

"We could have saved them, Nayeon," Y/N whispered through her tears as she's clenching her fist on her fabric.

"Amy... She's just a kid! How could I let her die just like that? It hurts... I know I can save them but..."

"Don't blame yourself. We tried... They are just stronger."

"I don't get it. Why does it have to be them? They deserved to live. They haven't even got the life I promised!"

Nayeon can't help but cry for the girl as she's getting so emotional. She knows Y/N has a lot of questions and she doesn't know if she'll be able to answer all of those just to make Y/N feel any better. Because there's not, apparently. Answering questions will just make you have another question, and some answers are just so hard to accept right now.

"You did everything, Y/N. We did everything."

____________________________________

The royalties remained awake even after the exhausting fight. They should function knowing the other girls are not because of their loss.