TWENTY-THREE

I can't believe it

I can't believe it. Today is the day I see my baby on the ultrasound machine.

"Are you okay?" Saint asks, rubbing the palm of my hand. I give him a small smile as I nod my head.

"Ms. Rossi," a woman with a clipboard says as she walks into the waiting room. I glance at her, standing up from the couch with Saint following suit.

"Dr. Jackson is waiting for you in the room," the woman says, gesturing towards the door. "Thank you," Saint and I say in unison.

"You're welcome, sir," she replies, keeping her eyes on Saint. "Bitch," I mutter, grabbing Saint's hand and pulling him through the door.

Once we enter, the doctor is already seated. She greets us with a soft smile. "How are you today?" she asks, resting her elbows on her desk and clasping her hands together.

"I'm great, thank you," I responded. The doctor nods in response. " Well, let's get this started then. Please go and lay down on the examination table," she instructs.

I take Saint's arm and pull him to the examination table. I squeeze Saint's hand as I watch the doctor set up the ultrasound machine. "It's going to be fine," Saint says, smiling down at me.

"I know, I'm just nervous," I reply. Saint chuckles softly. "Relax, princess, everything is gonna be fine," he assures, giving me another gentle squeeze on my hand.

"Are you ready, ma'am?" Dr. Jackson asks as she grabs a tube of gel. "Yes," I respond as I lay down on the examining table. She rolls my shirt up, stopping at the bottom of my boobs.

"This is going to be a bit cold," she warns, squirting the gel on my belly. She presses the wand gently against my stomach.

"Now, if you look at the screen, you can see your tiny baby. It's about the size of a lemon," she says, using her free hand to point at the ultrasound machine.

Some people don't realize that something so small and delicate can bring me so much joy.

"That's our baby," Saint whispers, staring at the ultrasound screen. I giggle softly, watching as Saint watches the screen intently.

"Our baby is so small," I whisper. "Would you like the sonogram pictures?" she asks. "Yes, please," I answer eagerly.

She clicks around on the computer before handing me three pictures. She smiles up at me as she wipes the gel off my stomach.

"Thank you," I say, smiling at the pictures in my hand.

"You're welcome, Ms. Rossi," she says." If you need anything more, I will be out in the hall," Dr Jackson says.

She smiles at us before exiting the room." We are having a baby," I squeal, wrapping my arms around Saint and pulling him into a hug.

I feel Saint's arms wrap around me and return my embrace. "We are having a baby," he replies, grinning widely.

Saint pulls away before placing a soft kiss on my head. "I love you," he whispers, staring into my eyes.

I stiffen in fear, unable to open my mouth and reply.

I love you, the three words I feared he would say the most. These are the three words that I don't know if I can say back.

"You don't have to say it back," he says, noticing me staring blankly at him. I could see the sadness in his eyes, but I couldn't tell him I loved him. I can't.