TWO

I watch Raul's hurt body as it lies in his hospital bed

I watch Raul's hurt body as it lies in his hospital bed. Before leaning closer to him, I ensure no one is watching by scanning the room.

"You have harmed me for years. Again and again, you broke me. You assured me that I would never be able to get away from you. Now, look at you. You have several shattered bones and are lying helpless in a bed. "On top of that, your entire life is in my hands," I say, emphasizing each word.

"I can have them pull the plug at any time," I said, smiling while glaring down at his helpless body.

He deprived me of my mother.

"I will now end your life since you took my daughter from me. "You don't deserve to live; you don't deserve a second chance at life," I whispered before wiping away the fallen tears.

As soon as a doctor enters the room, she says, "Ma'am, have you decided?" As I turn to face the doctor, I take a big breath.

As I mumble, I try to sound sorrowful, "I think he would want me to pull the plug."

She embraces me and says, "Oh, dear, I'm so sorry." I cave and cry on her shoulder.

I managed to leave him at last.

☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽

I sit in a chair, waiting for one of the officers to direct me to my next destination. "Hi! My name is Alice, and I'm your caseworker. "I have fantastic news." A woman walks over to me, squealing.

I want to sever my ears when I hear her voice.

"We discovered your family! You've got four brothers and a father!" She says this while looking down at me.

I have four brothers and a father. Why didn't they make an effort to locate me? What was I doing by not accompanying them?

"Are you positive?" I ask.

"Yes. "Your family has already scheduled your flight to Italy to live with them," she says.

"Italy?" I ask, blinking.

I'm going to fucking Italy.

"Come on, girl, we have a plane to catch," she squeals, grabbing my arm to help me up off the bench.

Snatching my arm back, I stand up and grab my bags. "Don't touch me," I gritted out.

I know I sound rude, but she should know not to touch people without their consent.

She glances at the floor momentarily before looking back up at me with a smile. "I'm sorry," she says, sounding sincere.

"Well, let's get going," she mumbles, walking toward the door.

All of this makes me want to smoke a blunt, but I promised someone I'd stop, and she'll be so disappointed if I didn't follow through.

Walking across the lobby, I notice how many other people are here today. There were fewer uniformed police officers than there were yesterday.

Once we walk through the door, I realize I will have a new life in only a few hours; I will have a father and brothers.

I will have a family.