Blood upon the Snow.

The mountain range in which Haern Caduch resided was cold in the summer, a frozen hell in the winters.

The Trial of the Mountain for the Bear Witchers was infamous. Climb to the summit of the tallest mountain and retrieve a Runestone to prove you had done so, many froze before they reached the top.

Arkon had succeeded, now sat in the Headmasters quarters as the old Witcher glared at him.

"Well? Speak boy!"

"On what Sir?"

"Did you or did you not drag Hanel up on your back?"

Arkon nodded, not breaking eye contact with the elder. It was true, he'd found his friend buried in the snow with a gash in his leg. It was also true that he'd helped him reach the summit, quite literally carrying him on his back at times.

Hanel had made it, was now being treated. Arkon being interrogated,

"I did sir"

"Do you mind explaining why?"

"I cannot explain my actions, I simply did...I saw him buried and my instinct was to help"

The headmaster regarded Arkon,

"And why didn't you leave him to die?"

"He had life in him, he merely needed strength"

"And you wasted resources and time..." the headmaster snarled, curling his lip. Arkon's lip twitched,

"I helped my friend"

"A ridiculous notion, I should tell the medic he is to be put down!" The headmaster stood, before he could step further, Arkon had stood, snarling at him.

The headmaster was shocked into stillness from the younger Witcher.

Arkon was merely a boy still. Fifteen he believed the boys father had said and a year had passed since, he was growing into his muscles. Strong from hard farm labor and now from being a witcher.

The Headmaster had seen him fight, he was good. And odd, wishing his fellows well after having pinned them or they pinned him.

"You won't harm him!" Arkon growled, his lip curled back to show the bear like teeth that the mutations had granted him.

"You know you likely wouldn't win a fight against me, yes?" The Headmaster asked Arkon, staring at him. For how strong and sturdy the boy was, the headmaster had experience.

"I know" Arkon replied, staring The Headmaster who kept staring,

"Why?"

"For my friend" Arkon says, yellowed eyes staring the elder down, "He had life in him, had it not been for the gash in his leg, he would have completed that trial"

The Headmaster regards Arkon and his words. Pursing his lips, he had seen Hanel fight, had been there as he changed to a Witcher. He truly had no doubt that had it not been for the gash, Hanel would have completed the task no problem.

"Hanel may stay" He says finally, nodding to Arkon, "But if he steps even a toe out of line"

"Yes sir" Arkon says, bowing his head to the headmaster who once again regards him,

"Your faith in others and your kindness will be your downfall, boy"

"Then let it be" Arkon says calmly, making the headmaster shake his head, shooing the boy off which he leaves, presumably to visit Hanel.

'Yes, a truly odd Witcher that one will be' Is the headmasters last thought of the matter.