Chapter 48

Beth hates wearing a uniform. She thinks that you can tell a lot about someone's personality from how they are dressed and if everyone looks identical, how are you supposed to judge them?! How do you know if they are shy?! Or brimming with confidence?! If they are interested in fashion or couldn't give a toss?!

When she first met John, he dressed almost exclusively in hoodies and tracksuit bottoms, not caring how he looked. As his confidence has grown, so has his wardrobe. Now Beth likes seeing what outfits have caught his eye, she might not always agree with his choices, but she likes that he puts some thought into what he wears these days, she finds it attractive, she always liked a well-groomed man..

Dom's self-assurance is apparent in his fashion choices. He wears what he likes and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. No-one could ever accuse him of being a wallflower. Colin, however, well he essentially dresses in a uniform of his own every day. Black suit, waistcoat and tie. Beth has tried to encourage him to switch things up a bit, even with a change of tie or a splash of colour with a pocket hankie but Colin is resolute in what he likes. Beth would usually admire this in someone, but not when it comes to clothes, because Colin looks so boring. Sometimes she worries she looks like his daughter when they are out together.

Colin is boring, like she looks in the England t-shirt and joggers she's been wearing every day since she started her new job. Unable to express herself in her clothes she dedicates an obscene amount of time to styling her hair. Curling it before deciding she looks completely overdone and sweeping it into a high ponytail. Her indecision makes her late for breakfast.

"You're really weird, you know that don't you?!" Dom's nose wrinkles in disgust as he watches Beth stir Nutella and peanut butter into her porridge.

"It's good!" Beth sucks the tiniest drop from her spoon to test the temperature. "You should try it. Tastes like a peanut butter cup."

Dom shakes his head. He's good, and he doesn't know how anyone can consume this much sugar so early in the day. If he thinks about it that's probably why Beth always seems so wired.

"Morning!"

Dom easily matches the large hands resting on his shoulders to John's voice. He is surprised to feel John's slender fingers squeezing him in a weak attempt at a massage. Ever since John learned that Beth and Dom are close, he has almost standoffish with Dominic, as though he sees him as a threat. Today though he is acting like they are best buds and Dom swiftly realises that John's shift in mood probably has a lot to do with the smile Beth walked into the restaurant with.

"Morning," Beth replies with her lips in a well-controlled smile as she tries to hide her glee; she woke up this morning still on a high after her phone call with John. She feels sexy and desired, and Colin is still all but forgotten.

"You good?" Beth loses herself in John's eyes she was scared he might have experienced some post-nut clarity today and given her a wide berth, but she is pleased to find that's not the case. In fact, he is looking very pleased with himself.

"Excellent."

Dom watches Beth's lips twitch at John's response, he knows this look well, she's trying to stop herself from laughing. Immediately his head starts swimming with questions. Why do John and Beth both look so pleased with themselves?! Has something happened?! And if it has, what does that mean for Beth's engagement?!

"I'll be right back," Beth rises to her feet, not letting her eyes leave John as he heads straight to the coffee machine. She joins him as he runs his fingers over the selection of tea bags on offer, he does the same thing every day as though he is going to suddenly decide to try lemon and ginger tea rather than the Yorkshire Tea he starts every day with.