Chapter 28

To say Beth has a restless night is an understatement. She sits up until the early hours reading things people have said about John online that make her blood boil. Then when she finally decides to call it a night, she can't bear to move John's head from her lap where he is sleeping peacefully, so she attempts to sleep sitting up, but that's never been something she could do. The sun is almost up when she finally realises that she is going to have to move him if she is going to get any sleep at all.

"Beth, I'm sleeping! Leave me alone," he grumbles as she nudges him aside as gently as she can. She tries to encourage him to his own side of the bed, but as always, he wants to be in her space and as she finally drifts off to sleep his head is resting on her chest, her boobs acting as his pillow for what is left of the night.

Beth is woken up by her nose itching, she twitches it to try and alleviate the irritation as her limbs feel like dead weights that she can't move but it's no use. She tries again, then she hears a soft snort of laughter, and her eyes flicker open to find John's grey ones look back at her as he shares her pillow.

"Morning," he nudges his nose against hers, and she realises this is not the first time he has done this, as the tickling sensation returns.

Beth gives a deep sigh; it can't possibly be morning already.

"Sleepy," she groans as she feels John's hand running down her back, over the boxy pyjama top she is wearing, across the skin at the bottom of her spine that her top's cropped length doesn't cover. His glancing touch is enough for her to feel a twinge between her legs, her clit awakening whilst the rest of her is still wrestling with sleep.

"Love you," he plants a soft kiss against her lips, lingering for a few seconds before he cups her bum and squeezes gently. The only response he receives is an instinctive nudge of Beth's hips towards him as her body starts to rouse whilst her mind is still groggy. Encouraged he kisses her again, this time he feels her lips applying pressure back against his. He senses Beth's hand stroking one of his cheeks and he opens his eyes, she is looking back at him, her big Disney princess eyes filled with concern.

"How you feeling today?" Her thumb rubs against his skin where the lightest smattering of stubble has formed overnight.

"Am okay," he reassures her. He feels a little embarrassed about how upset he was; he is older now; he should probably be better at dealing with disappointment. "Sorry," he says sheepishly. Beth shakes her head, brushing off his self-conscious thoughts, he's nothing to be sorry for.

John doesn't want to dwell on yesterday's disappointment. He is still gutted, but he is also conscious that his time with Beth is drawing to an end again, and he doesn't want to waste any of it.

"You're so beautiful." He studies her familiar features; she always looks so fresh-faced in the morning before she has put on the make-up that she won't let anyone but him see her without.

He can still vividly remember the night in Ibiza they shared a bed for the first time; Beth had set an alarm to make sure she had put her face on before he woke up. The next night, as he'd watched her setting the alarm for a second time he had snorted in disgust and told her he didn't know why she was bothering as he didn't care what she looked like. He had been bluffing, ignoring the flickers of attraction that had been seeded. Beth, already smitten with him, had been hurt by his remark, but she didn't let on. She cancelled the alarm. The next morning, she was woken by John opening the shutters on the windows, letting the early morning Spanish sun flood into the room and illuminate her bare skin.

John had stretched his arms above his head and yawned as he looked over at Beth tousled up in the bedsheets wearing a crown of wild bed hair. He was oblivious to how she was eyeing the slither of stomach he was flashing between the hem of yesterday's t-shirt and his boxers.