Chapter 24

May 2018

The roar of the crowd as the trophy is hoisted into the air makes John's spine tingle, his own throat burns as he celebrates along with the fans as ticker tape rains down on him, and his new medal feels heavy around his neck, bouncing against his chest as he and Kyle jump up and down euphoria racing through their veins. This is, without a doubt, the greatest day of his life. Every sacrifice he has made up until now has brought him to this moment where his dreams are coming true.

As the team carry the silverware around the pitch John's eyes are drawn to where he knows his family is sitting, he knows that today is as special for his parents and Jenny as it is for him, he is not the only one who has made sacrifices to allow him to be where he is today. This is their moment too. There is a fourth seat in his box occupied today, Beth is too far away for him to make out her facial expressions, all he can see is a figure in a blue top and white jeans, but knowing she is here is the crowning glory on the most special of days.

Many a beer and a little too much champagne has been consumed by the time the players are reunited with their families in the Tunnel Club, John's inhibitions have been lost a little to the alcohol and when he sees Beth, he lifts her off her feet and buries his face in her neck, even after all this time she stills wears that same perfume he picked out for her. "I did it Beth, I actually did it," his mouth moves to her ear, his alcohol heavy breath is warm against her skin and as he speaks Beth's arms wrap around his neck.

"Yes, you did," she grins, smiling into John's eyes as their foreheads press together, her hair falling across John's face like a curtain shielding them from the rest of the world. "I'm so proud of you," she says quietly before he kisses her briefly, conscious that his family is waiting to congratulate him too.

"Let me see it," Beth starts to wriggle in his arms, and he sets her down and watches as she gingerly brushes her fingers across the smooth surface of his newest medal. "It's heavy," she remarks, and he nods. "Can I wear it?" She looks at him hopefully, forgetting the request he had made to her the last time he'd seen her.

"Later," he grins cheekily at her before turning his attention to his parents who have been waiting patiently.

As the evening wears on, people start to drift away, there's a private party for the players and their partners taking place later and some leave to get ready for it, whilst family members, like John's, start returning home because they have real lives to get back to in the morning. John, however, lingers wanting to soak in every moment. He shows Beth off, like she's a trophy of his very own. Introducing her to so many people that her head is swimming with names and faces. Eventually, he notices Beth's smile is starting to look a little forced and he guides her into a quiet corner by the tunnel viewing area. "You wanna head off?"

"No," she shakes her head, not wanting to spoil his day. But she is desperate to have him to herself.

"If we go now," his eyes are drawn to her boobs as a hand caresses her waist. "We'll have time for a quickie before we have to leave."

Beth sucks on her bottom lip and looks John up and down appraisingly, his hair is soaked with a mix of champagne and sweat from his exuberant celebrations, he's still wearing his kit, it fits like a glove, accentuating his narrow waist and clinging to his ever-broadening chest. "So!?" He interrupts her thoughts, tilting her chin so their eyes meet.

Beth shrugs, a smile playing on her lips. "Are you planning on putting in a shift today or do I have to do all the work again?!"

He's fully fit now, his groin injury a fading memory. The memory of Beth riding him in her car however is as fresh as ever. "You calling me lazy?" He raises an eyebrow.