Chapter 44

It's good to be back at St. George's Park. John finds the familiarity comforting, in a lot of ways, it feels like home. Outside, the country is still awash with COVID protocols, but here, other than the masks the hotel staff members are wearing, there's little sign that the world is still in the midst of a pandemic and John is grateful for this little bubble of normality. He's lying on a giant bean bag in one of the communal areas playing Call of Duty with a few of the players when he hears someone calling his name. He rolls his eyes, who wants him now!? He feels like he has been in demand from the second they arrived here. The portrait session for the official Euro shots was this afternoon and his cheeks still hurt from smiling. He hates photoshoots and all the stupid poses they make you do; he's been dreading it and is grateful it's out the way now. He planned to chill for the rest of the day, he'll unpack tomorrow, but now he fears he is going to be dragged off to speak to some journalist who wants to talk about John's 'renaissance' reminding him that his career was in the toilet a year ago.

The voice in search of John belongs to Sam Johnstone. "Beth's looking for you."

John's eyes don't leave the massive television screen and his fingers continue to fly across the control pad at pace as his character dodges bullets and tries to lay low, just like John has been doing with Beth since yesterday.

"I'm busy," John winces as his character takes a shot and Jordan, the one who delivered it, whoops from next to him. "She can keep on looking." He's done his bit for the day, if she wants him for filming something stupid for Twitter or Insta then she can dream on, someone else can do it.

"She's upset," Sam has known John for a long time and like so many others here, he knows the significance of Beth Martinez to him.

"Not my problem," John says brashly. "Tell her to go find Dom, she's never off his dick." He hates himself for how jealous seeing Beth laughing with DCL makes him feel, he particularly hates how good he thinks they look together. They look like they belong on the cover of one of the stupid fashion magazines Beth and Jenny both insist on buying, the ones that just seem to be full of adverts and pictures of people in terrible outfits that no-one would ever wear in the real world. He's been torturing himself over Dominic and Beth, convinced that something must have happened between them. The chemistry is strong and there's lots of flirty little looks and touches between the two that he recognises from his own relationship with Beth. A few times, he has accidentally caught Beth's eye, his cheeks burning in horror as he realises he has been caught watching. Every single time it has happened, he has watched her smile falter, he thinks it's probably the guilt getting to her. "He's probably in the gym," he hopes Sam will clear off and leave him to his game as his concentration is already broken. Jordan is getting louder and more irritating by the moment as John's health bar swiftly drains.

"She said it was something to do with someone called Max..." Sam looks blankly at John, of course this name has no significance to him, and Beth had spoken to him through tears, so he wasn't even sure he had heard her properly.

"Maxi?" For the first time, John looks directly at Sam, who only shrugs. He knows Beth's cat is, as his dad would say, knocking on a bit, and he is instantly worried about Maxi's health.

"Something like that. Anyway, she's looking for you. Just thought you should know."

"Where is she?" John gets to his feet, his argument with Beth suddenly seeming petty as he can't bear the thought of her hurting.

"Dunno," Sam shrugs again as he takes John's spot, the game is continuing, and John doesn't take the time to worry over the effect Sam taking over will have on his stats as he has to find Beth.

*

Beth finds John first. She's just finished briefing her team over what needs to be done whilst she's gone, and she almost walks straight into him as she leaves the office just as he is arriving in search of her.