Chapter 19: all eyes are on you

NARRATOR'S POV~

When it came time for breakfast, the group all headed out to the mess hall. Harry would've stayed behind again if it weren't for Draco basically begging Harry to come along because "I need emotional support while I get used to everyone here and your laziness, flirtiness, dark humour, and I-could-give-two-
bloody-fucks attitude is perfect for that. I need you."

So, yeah. Harry was tagging along with them this time. Snape was following along almost completely silently in the back of the group. Harry was more then aware that he was there. He was just really glad that the path they were taking didn't have a bathroom on the way.

The hallways stretched what seemed endlessly, the sound of banter echoing off the walls lightly to the normal human ear, the smell of damp air reaching the nose of a normal human, but to Harry, he could hear much more, smell much more, sense much more.

The sound of wind brushing against stone walls, water hitting sharp rocks in a lake, birds chirping happily as they flew or rested, leaves flowing in the wind, bugs flapping their thin wings against the wall, hearts all beating at different speeds and times, lungs inflating and deflating as people took in air, blood pumping at a smooth rate, bones cracking as someone popped their back, teath grinding together from the distance, the sound of food and water being swallowed echoing in his mind from the other room.

He could smell cologne, perfume, metallic blood from his arms still unhealed, hair products, a salty mist from the lake, fresh air from a breeze that flows outside the walls, wet grass from the morning dew, dirt from peoples shoes and blowing in the wind, foods and drinks of all types, hundreds of kids body odor and as well as the smell of adult hormones.

He could taste so much that the wishes he couldn't.

Harry would be lying of he said that he never got overwhelmed by it all, hell, he would be lying if he said it didn't happen often. The amount of information he has to process in one moment is astonishing and impossible for most people.

The only reason he could, is because he grew up unconsciously creating another entirely different section of his mind to process all that information, while he can focus on what's important and what's actually happening around him. The older he got, the better his sences got, the more developed that other part of his mind became. His magic had a small role in that.

To say he was one with nature would be an understatement. He practically lived with the moles with how well he could hear what was happening underground.

Its a pain in the ass to be in large crowds, hence why he is regretting not staying back in the dorm common room.

Cold sweat ran down this chest, his senses were becoming overloaded. Oh how he forgot how much he hated being near or in the mess hall at school.

He silently fell to the back of the group, breathing carefully and deeply. It was gonna take a minute for his mind to go on overdrive and start processing at a faster rate.

His hair shadowed over his face and he closed his eyes, moving by using his instincts to keep him in the same position as he was before in the group. He was still at the back of the group, walking normally with his shaking hands in his pockets, like nothing was wrong, and like his eyes weren't closed completely.

They were almost to the mess hall.

"Mr Potter?" Snape said quietly, none of the others could hear it. Harry stayed quiet for a moment, not answering immediately. And after two more breathes, he was back to his senses, his mind processing like normal, ears no longer ringing as if they would explode, nose no longer burning, taste buds no longer focusing on the air, body no longer in as much pain as before.