Happily Ever After

The quiet city was glistening underneath the late night sky. The street lanterns were shining brightly, attracting a small number of moths, and only a few stray houses' lights were on, emitting a source of beauty of their own.

Not many people were on the streets. A few lonely individuals were roaming the sidewalks and heading for different directions, all unaware of the fact that they were being watched from afar.

Or above, to be more specific.

Two dark silhouettes were sitting on the highest building's rooftop, basking in the sleeping state most citizens were in and enjoying the quietness.

There was hardly any conversation matter. There was no need for words to be exchanged to be entertained by one another's presence.

They had been sitting on the edge of the roof, with their legs dangling down, for several hours, before the sun set and it became dark.

"Nya," the male whispered, earning a hum from said person. "Do you believe in 'happily ever after'?"

Nya scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, turning her face in his direction to look at his freckled one. "What?"

"Do you believe that there is a 'happily ever after'? That everyone is granted to have one?" Jay kept looking down at the street, his eyes following a few cars that rode by until they escaped his sight.

Nya also turned back to look down at the street. She had not anticipated such a deep topic to come up in such a sudden moment.

She took her time to think about her answer.

Her and her Yin had been together for well over four years, so to her, it was no open question as to what she thought about their relationship and its ending.

But if everyone was granted to have a said "happily ever after"? She was unsure.

"I don't know," she answered honestly. "For most people, it's out of their control."

Jay nodded, taking in what she said. "That's true. The world does have some unexpected surprises to offer."

"Yeah," Nya agreed, "and it's not always for the better. Some surprises destroy lives."

"And some surprises create lives."

Jay let his gaze wander over to his Yang. The moon was shining down on her, lighting up every breathtaking feature she had to offer. Her brown eyes seemed lighter, almost amber. Her lips looked moist, like she had let her tongue graze over them, and her hair was highlighted dearly.

"You've created my life, Nya," he told her, his voice barely above a whisper. It sounded dehydrated, like he had been thirsty for a while, but also urgent, like he would die if he hadn't informed her of it.

One would have to be really up-close to her face to see the slight, rosy tinge that was now coating her tan cheeks. She tilted her head forward, allowing her jet black, loose strands of thick hair to fall into her face, partially covering what Jay loved to admire.

"What makes you say that?"

Her own voice came out as a whisper. She was used to being bombarded with compliments and random cheesiness, but she was not prepared for this one. This one felt more intimate. Way more intimate.

Jay took his time to find an answer as well. "I remember being this careless little boy who would try to do anything to find a way to fit in," he began. "It didn't matter where I fit in, all I wanted was to fit in."

He sighed, his eyes following a stray dog walking around aimlessly while trying to look for some food.

"I'd to anything to have friends. I'd do anything but be alone," he admitted. "I couldn't accept it. I don't know if you've noticed this, but I'm quite the socializer," he lightheartedly joked, earning an almost inaudible chuckle from his Yang.