Selfish

He had been distant lately.

For about a month now, the communication and affection toward one another stopped. Not completely, of course, but it was gradually reduced.

At first she was fine with it. He had his own problems that she could barely do anything about other than comfort him through the rough journey. She wasn't an affection-seeking person anyway.

But she had never expected to feel like the spark they once had was slowly dying out.

She hated herself for feeling that way, though. His mother, Edna, had become very sick over the course of the last month which worried everyone. Jay immediately took as many days off of his job to be around his mother as he could and he was now practically living with his parents in their junkyard again.

Nya herself was very concerned for Edna, and she was feeling very bad for the way her heart was selfishly reacting to the lack of love she was receiving from her Yin.

She had visited the junkyard every now and then to both be around Jay and also his parents. Whatever Edna had was still not discovered, which wasn't helping the family's situation one bit.

"Heya! Jay Walker here. Sorry I couldn't pick up my phone, that must mean I'm very busy at the moment. Please call again later if I still haven't called you back in... let's say an hour. Before you go, let me tell you- beep! ... Just kidding, I'm still here. Anyways-"

Beep!

That was probably the fifth call Jay hadn't picked up that day. Nya let go of her phone with a sigh and reluctantly decided to just go on with her day without Jay in it. He was, again, in the junkyard, whereas Nya and everyone else was still in the monastery.

Getting out of bed, Nya left her room to join the rest of the gang in the living room. They were playing a video game, which she soon realized was Prime Empire when she entered the room, while yelling at each other.

She drowned out their voices as she found a seat next to her brother. Kai only gave her a quick look before he went back to arguing with Lloyd and Cole. Zane and Pixal were conversing with each other and seemingly paying no mind to their friends as they were in a world of their own.

Jay and Nya were once like that, talking about anything and everything while paying no attention to anyone but each other. Nya missed those conversations, realizing she had never appreciated his voice enough until she barely got to hear it.

She scolded herself the second she started to feel her selfish desires creeping up again. Jay's mother was unwell and all she was feeling was jealousy.

Nya watched as the guys began a new round of their game. It took her a few seconds before she recognized the level they were currently on.

The Temple of Madness.

She observed her brother's moves, assessed his techniques, and internally corrected his mistakes. He was playing unevenly, his demeanor too confident to notice the small things he was overseeing.

"He's going to come back," Nya mumbled but was not heard over the others' screaming. She watched as Cole and Kai's in-game characters walked up the same stairs Nya and Jay had when they were inside the game. She watched as the two confidently turned in their keytanas.

She watched as Sushimi, also known as the Mad Sushi Chef, caught up to them and threw a spiked club at Kai, cubing him.

Nya tore her gaze away from the television screen and tried her best to ignore Kai's frustrated words.

"I was so close, man! The wall was down, all I had to do was go through! Ugh, where did he even come from? We pushed him out and killed him in the restaurant, right, Cole? I swear he probably waited for us to get so far to ruin our victory and hid behind that wall like a coward."