Play Pretend

Never had Nya ever expected to see Jay flirting with another woman.

If anything, if it came down to it, everyone had that slight, small assumption that out of the two, Nya would have been the one to break his heart, not the other way around.

And the woman was enjoying it too. A strand of her  beach blonde hair was curled around her finger, her head tilted to the side as she glanced up at Jay through her long lashes.

But Jay was not Jay in that moment, he was the fierce, cunning, hot Blue Ninja, the one the media loved to portray. The fakest version of himself, Nya was convinced.

Jay was fierce and cunning, sure, but only highlighting those aspects was like a crime. He was sweet, romantic and extremely protective over his loved ones, yet the media only needed to have him one way; the hot way.

And damn it, Nya couldn't argue with them about his hotness when she was the only one allowed to see all of him whenever she pleased.

That being said, the girl had to go.

The other four ninja creating an obstacle between the scene and Nya was a bit of a distraction though. Although she had insisted that she could "keep her jealousy under control," she was doing anything but that.

She was basically seething with anger as she watched the monitor screen footage, her eyes following the woman's every move. Nya had promised not to intervene as long as they kept a distance, and she was ready to strike if the other woman were to even think about going for any part of his skin.

His skin was Nya's. That was not up for any debate.

"Yeah, I think you're very... good-looking."

Nya snorted. Jay was very well-versed in the compliments he kept providing her with, but now that he was speaking to another woman and had to get through to her, he was suddenly like a robot trying to pretend to be a human with human emotions and human vocabulary.

"Really now?" the woman asked, sounding intrigued. Her eyes slid down Jay's left arm and lingered on his bicep. "You're a handsome one, you know that?"

Nya cringed, then snickered silently. If it wasn't Jay who she was flirting with, she would have eaten it up.

The woman attempted to reach for Jay's bicep but he quickly maneuvered it upwards, flexing his muscles. "You think so? Thanks! I've been buildin' these up for a while."

Okay, now he was pushing it. He was obviously liking the attention he was getting.

Or maybe he was aware of the fact that his girlfriend was a room over and watching him.

Nya, while still feeling agitated, felt a little more at ease because he, just like her, didn't like being touched by strangers. And he was flexing the muscles she loved to see, so it was basically a win-partly lose situation.

"So," Jay said, changing the topic from his body to the woman in front of him. "Are you, like, single?"

Nya snorted. Smooth, she thought in her head.

"You didn't even ask me for my name yet the first thing on your mind is my relationship status?" The woman stopped twirling her hair to give Jay a one-over. "I know that's a bright red flag but damn, I'd ignore all of those if it meant I'd get to snag you."

Jay chuckled, and even Nya could hear it was forced. "Of course. You are pretty after all. But back to my question; are you single?"

"Yeah. Just broke up with my ex, actually."

"Well, I guess he must've been an idiot for not wanting all that."

"I know, right?" she exclaimed. "He was a no-good anyway. Always wanted money and stuff and only used me to get what he wants."

"Get what he wants?"

The woman hesitated a little. Nya leaned in closer to the screen, feeling that something juicy was about to come up.

"I... can't tell you."

Jay's brows furrowed, his hand unwillingly coming forward to land on her shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. "Don't worry, I won't do anything. I just want to know why he let go of such a hot babe like you."

The woman burst out in laughter, her amusement echoing off the walls of the small apartment living room.

The ninja had broken into her apartment to catch a wanted criminal — the ex she had just referred to — and had to use Jay to distract the woman because she had come back earlier than anyone had expected.

Now they were all in the bedroom and listening in on Jay's awkward conversation with her. The security cameras that had already been installed in the apartment were a pleasant bonus.

"You can cut the crap," she said, her face turning serious. "I know you're not interested in me, and I also know that your teammates are here somewhere. I'm not dumb, I can see the red dot on the camera," she pointed at the black security camera in the upper corner of the room, "and hear some hushed talking. And for the record: you're terrible at flirting."

Jay opened and closed his mouth several times, flabbergasted. "Nya tells me my flirting isn't that bad," he eventually said, his eyes cast downward and his lips pouting. He lazily kicked his feet on the carpet.

It didn't take long for the others to pile back in the living room and interrogate the woman. She was willing to help, which was a nice revelation seeing as most people (in a relationship or recently broken up) still defended their significant other in a situation like hers.

Jay was still glaring down at the floor, his eyes locked on the intricate pattern of the dark blue carpet. He felt someone tug on his hand but did nothing to acknowledge it.

"Jay," Nya said, grabbing his hand and playing with his fingers. "Jay, look at me."

He did, and what he saw was the person he loved trying to hold in her laughter. He could feel it.

"You're not terrible when it comes to flirting."

Jay narrowed his eyes, waiting for the but.

"But," Nya cleared her throat, "let's just let one of the others play pretend and flirt with a woman next time, yeah? We both know that's only reserved for me, and I'll take it all too, including your terribleness at it."

"Hey!"

A/N: I think this is my shortest oneshot yet but this prompt has been lingering in my drafts for some time and I didn't know where to add it, so I decided to just post it. Besides, there is barely any thought behind it so it doesn't need to be added anywhere anyway.