111 - You and your empathy problems

Book: Kindred Spirits
Chapter 111 (3x17)
Word Count: 2208

Cassidy and Klaus were sat in their newly compelled home in New Mexico where they knew Klaus' enemies would never think to check, but they still lay low for the first few days there just in case. The first week there, they did everything imaginable, sight-seeing through the day with Hope and Leo, and at night after they'd put the twins to sleep, Cassidy would cast a silencing spell over the room and the married mates would have some fun of their own.

Finally being drama free without looking over their shoulders every second, Cassidy and Klaus were able to spend more and more time together at last, which was what they did. Every night.

In the mornings, Cassidy would wake up to see Klaus stood at the end of the bed, painting away on his easel, only showing Cassidy his paintings once he was finished with them. After that, he'd make some breakfast for himself and Cassidy during the time when Cassidy would bring Hope and Leo into the kitchen and give them yoghurts to eat. All in all, they were a real family. A normal family... it made them feel so human...

One afternoon, Cassidy was sat watching TV in between Hope and Leo on the couch, watching the animated cartoon that the twins seemed to enjoy so much, when Klaus walked in on the phone.

"If you find him, don't hesitate." He then hung the phone and put on a fake smile, walking over to kiss Cassidy's head, and then Hope's and Leo's heads. "Hello there, little ones." He sat down on the armchair and looked towards the TV. "What are we watching today?"

"Who was that on the phone?" Cassidy asked, ignoring Klaus' question. "It sounded important."

"It wasn't. It was nothing." Klaus dismissed, keeping his eyes fixed on the TV. Cassidy didn't believe him for one second, letting out a sigh.

"Nik, would you please look at me?" So, at Cassidy's request, Klaus slowly turned his gaze towards his mate and wife. "What was that call about? Who was it?"

"That was Elijah." Klaus finally admitted. "Apparently, Lucien has revealed his true nature. He's taken Freya."

"And you just weren't going to tell me?" Cassidy suddenly shot up from the couch, causing the two year olds to both let out groans of annoyance. "Did you not think I had a right to know that Lucien has literally kidnapped one of my mates?!"

"It wasn't like that, love. I have never seen you happier than you are in the past week, I would have hated to take that beautiful smile away."

"Don't... don't think you can just sweet talk your way out of this one, Niklaus Mikaelson. I am still very annoyed." Cassidy huffed, yet a smile was trying to be hidden. Klaus shot her the tiniest of smirks, and Cassidy broke. "Okay fine, I'm not annoyed." Klaus grinned triumphantly at that. "About Frey, what do you do? T-tell me what to do! What if Lucien hurts her? Or... or what if he--"

"I assure you, love, Lucien will not dare harm Freya if he wants to keep his heart in place." Klaus assured. "We'll find them."

"Guess we're going back to New Orleans..." Cassidy groaned. "Back to the drama. As always."

"I think I have a lead." Klaus suddenly vamp sped out of the house to retrieve a landyard that had been caught onto one of the branches of the nearby trees in the forest. He vamp sped back into the house, showing the landyard to Cassidy.

"Kingmaker land development office." Cassidy read aloud. "Land development? How is that related to Lucien?"

"Kingmaker is a development that hunts and kills werewolves, and if my suspicions are right, I'd say that Lucien has been orchestrating it all." Klaus muttered. "Kingmaker land development originates in Texas."