Eben chews his lip, trying to recall exactly what he was feeling. "I was upset..."

"Why?"

The half-elf's face pinches. "Because I wanted to help Adder, but I couldn't. Because I was too weak..."

The woman smiles, eyes kind. "He loves you deeply. You know that, right?"

Eben flushes, heart thundering. "Yes," he whispers.

"And you return those feelings, don't you?"

Eben's cheeks redden more. Was Helia helping him with his magic, or was she planning to give him the "if you break my son's heart..." lecture?

"Yes, I've never felt like this about anyone else."

Helia smiles. "What do you know about gorgons?"

The half-elf's eyes dart to the ground. "Not much, I just know what Adder has shared and what the legends say."

"Gorgons are a unique type of monster," Helia explains. "they're very fierce predators, but they're also very social and loving creatures."

The half-elf laughs. "I knew that much."

The woman grins. "Did you know that once gorgons find a lover, they mate for life? He's never going to want to let you go, Eben."

The words seem to echo in the half-elf's head, banging around and causing a whole new burst of butterflies in his stomach.

Despite how happy he'd been to hear Adder loves him, an insidious voice had still whispered darkly that the gorgon would eventually come to his senses. Everyone else he'd ever loved had followed that pattern, so what proof was there that Eben wouldn't be abandoned once more?

Now he's learning that not only did Adder love Eben, but the gorgon would love him for the rest of his life. Could it be true?

"Eben, focus," Helia commands. "Use what you're feeling, if you can do this, you can save him."

The half-elf grits his teeth, tensing. He needs to do this—he needs to save Adder! Sheppard will not take Eben from the man he loves!"

Suddenly, he gasps as the bright feeling of magic seems to gather in his chest, goosebumps rising on his skin as the air around them seems to shimmer and ripple around them.

Attempting to keep focus, he closes his eyes and thinks of the gorgon, his love, and their future together. What would they do once they were free of Sheppard's clutches?

He needs to show Adder how beautiful life can be—how beautiful it can be every day, not just in short spurts between bloody battles. His lover deserved a life of peace, joy, and love, surrounded by a family who will never abandon him again...

As these thoughts church in his mind, the magic builds like a mighty wave, crest rushing its way through each molecule of his being to simmer under his skin.

Eben opens his eyes to see that golden light is spilling from his cupped hands, casting a brilliant amber hue on both of their faces.

He gasps as his hands grow hot, the light increasing to an almost unbearable intensity. He's doing it! Eben's controlling the magic! 

Slowly, as the rush of emotions slows, the egg fades back to its normal hue.

Eben watches it anxiously. Did it work? Did he do it right?

His questions are answered by a quiet sound—from behind the eggshell he hears an urgent "peep, peep, peep!"

The half-elf's eyes widen in disbelief as from the egg, hatches a small, shivering chick. Immediately he cups the small bird more securely, trying to warm it with his hands.