40

Gabi

"Thanks. These look pretty,"

"You're welcome. I thought maybe we could open some of your presents,"

"My pity presents,"

"Presents are presents," grandad said, "Come on chip,"

Today I had eaten breakfast and lunch. I wasn't sure how- I had felt awful yesterday- but my body was seemingly thanking me for actually giving it vitamins and medicine. My head was clearer, and I could walk from the kitchen to the living room alone. Just about, at least.

"Can we wait five minutes for Maddox to arrive?"

"Your nails need to dry anyway,"

She gave me some water with a straw and we waited, Maddox ringing the doorbell when she arrived.

I walked to the sofa and she came running in, sitting right beside me to kiss my cheek. She had her hair up today, and wore makeup, and actual clothes. Next to me she looked like an actual goddess.

"You look so much better,"

"I feel a bit better,"

"Did you just get your nails done?" she asked, grabbing my hand, "They're cute,"

"Grandma did them,"

"What?!"

"She would do yours,"

"For real?"

"Grandma!"

I shuffled into Mads' arms as we waited for her, squeezing her hand as hard as I could just to see if I could. It was a pathetic squeeze, but she squeezed mine back so she must've felt something.

"Please can you paint Maddox's nails too?"

"Of course, I'm just helping your granddad with the laptop, I'll bring it all through,"

"Shall we match?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay. I'm so glad you're feeling a lot better. I miss you. I miss, yanno, doing more than cuddling,"

"I know you do," I grinned, "But it's not happening,"

"Ugh," she sighed dramatically, "I'm kidding. I just want you to get better so we can have a date or something,"

"We will soon. I ate breakfast and lunch,"

"I didn't know you weren't eating,"

"I was having soup and Calum said that wasn't helping me much so I mean solid food,"

"Oh. Good, I'm proud of you,"

"It's nothing special,"

"Yes it is, I am proud of you for looking after yourself and getting better, and going to the hospital,"

"Are you free to come tomorrow?"

"I'm free all afternoon,"

"Can you come?"

"Of course, how long does it take?"

"A while,"

"I'll bring my work then. When my nails are done can we go to your room, pleaseeeee?"

"If grandad can carry me,"

"I can carry you,"

"No you can't, also it will be my dads room,"

"That makes things weird,"

"Shut up," I said, giggling , "You're weird,"

"I'm gonna own it,"