25

Luke

"How are you doing?" Sierra asked, "How's your head?"

"It hurts,"

"You should go to sleep, your mum and dad are all tucked up in their bed,"

"Gabi won't answer her phone to say goodnight,"

"Then she is probably asleep too. I brought a cool flannel,"

"Thank you,"

"Here, I'll make sure it stays on your head, you go to sleep. It's been a long week and it's all catching up,"

She tucked me in and placed the flannel on my head, then sat beside me with a book.

"Sierra? Can you see if you can get an update on Gabi?"

"Yeah, I will do. You just go to sleep, don't worry about a thing,"

"Okay. I love you,"

"I love you too,"

She took good care of me, and I was grateful for that. Truthfully I felt like shit right now, in every way possible, so having my parents and girlfriend recognise that, then try to help, was such a relief. I was often the one taking care, but she was playing with my hair, and being on my beck and call with things I didn't even ask for.
It made me realise I needed to look after myself a lot more. I was completely burnt out, even beyond this illness.

I slept as well as any ill person would sleep, and woke up to an empty side of the bed, frowning to myself. Every inch of my body ached, and I had not felt this blocked up and stuffy for a long while. My throat was so sore, so I could only imagine how Gabi's felt, and my head was still pounding.

Since I couldn't shout, I texted my mum that I was awake, and she immediately came upstairs with water, and medicine, and snacks. Like Gabi would always be my little girl, I would always be her little boy, and she fussed over me.

I took the medicine and pulled the duvet off me, letting her help me take my shirt off since I was literally sweating buckets.

"I don't want you to catch this,"

"I'll wear a mask,"

"Thank you,"

She got one from her room and brought me back another cool towel, gently placing it on my head. Then, she put a straw in my water and held it while I took a few sips, but it was too much and I had to stop.

"How is Gabi?"

"She passed out a couple of times yesterday, but apparently she's fine today. Well... she didn't eat her breakfast, but she is watching tv,"

"Oh,"

"Sierra said they're doing their best,"

"Okay,"

"Your dad is loving how huge your tv is,"

"You're always welcome over,"

"We know, we just like to give you space. You know we'd be over every day if we had no self control,"

"I do,"

"I'll always be here to look after my boy,"

"Is Sierra at work?"

"She's packed a bag and is staying with Gabi,"

"Oh good,"

"Would you like some food? Or some more sleep?"

"Sleep,"

"I'll leave you be. Maddox came round by the way, with some flowers for Gabi. She's a lovely girl,"