Chapter 30

(Chapter Song ‘What I Am' by Edie Brickwell)
KITA

The battle weighed heavy on the Alphas, but they prevailed in the end.  I wasn’t there to see it, but Graham assured me he was fine before leaving to help the injured and the dead. 
With two Lefus at the large and the Shaman to the wind, we decided it would be best to not pursue them until we recovered.  There’s a lot of prisoners Phoenix and Falcon must question as well.  So it will be some time before we can challenge Death.
Right now, I have my own preparations to make.  This worlds blue moon is in a few days, so I’m told, and if I am to stand under it with Graham, I need to settle the matter of my position in the universe. 
I walk in the bright sunshine with a smile on my face.  The air is warm as the wind blows through the windows of the green house. 
I stop under a cherry blossom tree and pick up a handful of petals.  I place the heel of my hands under my lips and whisper, ‘Inari’.  The petals float off my hand and swirl in the wind.  I watch them fly around the Japanese Zen garden and up through the open sky lights.  I shield my eyes from the beaming sunlight through the glass roof. 
I walk along the stone path and onto the grass.  I sit at the bank of the small river and play with the fish. 
The surface is disturbed by little pebble like things falling above the fish into the water.  The fish start to eat and I whip my head to my side.
Inari, still in his 16 year old, fish market boy form, holds out his hand.  He stands beside me as the sun shines behind his head.
I look up at him.  “Corn.  Want some?”  He grins.  “They love it.” 
I take his corn and toss it to the fish.  They swim in circles,  gobbling up the sinking, yellow kernels. 
He sits down beside me. 
“Inari.  Thank you for meeting me.”  I breathe.
“You’re welcome, but it can’t be long.”  He leans to me.  “My break is only 15 minutes.”  He chuckles and I giggle. 
He leans his arms on his knees and looks out to the water.  “I know why I’m here, Kitsune.  I've been watching you.”  He turns his head to me, his eyes squint in the sunlight.  “The Tanuki that hunted you was the strongest created yet.  You were very brave to stand against him.  You protected the worlds honorably.” 
“Thank you, Inari.”  I bow my head.  “But that’s not why.  I summoned you to tell you…I’m in love…with Graham Mitchell.” 
He nods.  “I know this, too.  The traveler is very brave as well.  He’s very powerful.”  He bumps my shoulder.  “You are…lucky.”  He grins.
I feel my cheeks heat.  “I am.” 
He turns back to the water.  “You wish for me to break your bond with the portal.”
I nod.  “Yes.  It’s not that I don’t want to be guardian of my pocket between dimensions, but I know that I cannot continue to do that and be with Graham.”
He twists his lips and nods in agreement.  After a moment, he turns his eyes to me.  “The traveler is a gatekeeper too.”
My brows come together.  “He is?”
Inari nods.  “Yes.  He controls the gates of the outside worlds, while you control the inside.  Your…Yin and Yang.” 
“I didn’t know this.”  I lower my head.
“He will need your help.”  Inari whispers.
“How?”  I answer.  “I’m powerless.” 
He smiles.  “Kitsune, between the black and white there are many shades of grey.”
“What does this mean?” 
“It means…if I could offer a different solution, would you take it?”  He says.
I turn my legs and face him.  My heart skips a beat.  “Yes.  Please, Inari.  I will do anything."
He faces me and takes my hands.  “You and the traveler have great power.  He is connected to both worlds and you within them.  This means…”
My smile gets bigger as I reach understanding.  “He can give me power.”
“Yes, Kitsune.  He can give you the power you need to exist in this world as you are.  In turn, you can give him power to exist in your world without hindering him or your duties.”  He looks into my eyes and grins.
“Ooo…Inari!  Thank you!”  I throw my arms around his neck as I giggle with delight.  “This is the best news.  Thank you!!”
“Well, I have an ulterior motive.”  He pulls back.
“What’s that?”  I ask.
“Finding a new Kitsune is a human resources nightmare.”  He winks.
We both break out in hysterics as the trees sway in the wind.  He produces more corn and I fed fish with him until he had to go back to work.  He told me I’d still need to perform my duties as Kitsune and settle the souls in my realm, but now, thanks to Graham, I won’t be stuck there.  I can travel out with him and we can be together. 
I can’t wait to tell him.