Chapter 18

(Chapter song ‘Bring Me To Life’s by Evanescence)
KITA

The earth shakes and I hang onto a bench on the street as the wind picks up and whips my hair around my head.  Garbage flies down the street as people run up the sidewalks, screaming.  The quaking increases violently and my body fills with fear as the roads start to crack and lift. 
“WHAT'S GOING ON?!”  A woman is on her knees, hanging onto to the bench beside me.
“I DON’T KNOW!”  I yell back.  Glass shatters in the skyscrapers above and large shards fall like knives to the earth.
I hear a loud crack and look up.  A chunk of a building across the street breaks off and falls.
“LOOK OUT!”  I point to the piece and yell to people below.  It hits the ground and people scream in terror.  More buildings start to fall apart as the sky turns bright orange, gold and blue.  Dark clouds come across it with a speed I’ve never seen and lightning strikes burn the earth.
Booming laughter spreads across black clouds as they roll in over Phoenix City.  I look to the people on the ground trying to stay on their feet as the laughter chases them. 
Cars fall into sink holes and buildings lift as the quake tears the city apart. 
My mouth falls open and tears fall as I watch people fall into cracks, screaming to their deaths.
“YOU’RE TOO LATE, GATEKEEPER.  I FEEL IT.  HIS POWER IS COMING THROUGH.  THAT WORLD IS MINE!”  
I watch as the Eternity of this world rises hundreds of feet into the air.  He’s screaming in agony, holding his head. 
“GIVE IT TO ME!”
Eternity tries to fight as his power is funneled from him.  It’s white light flies across the desert to the shimmering blue/gold veil that appears and my heart stops.  In it, Graham is standing at the base.  His body ravaged by lightning bolts as Rex pushes through his body to this side.  Eternity’s power hits Grahams chest and moves through him to be taken by Rex.
“NOOOO!”  I cry. 
His arms are outstretched and his hair whips in the cosmic wind.
I hitch a breath.  “GRAHAM!”  I scream.
Shaking, he looks at me.  His face is filled with pain.  “Help…me…”  He struggles.
I look to my hand and in it is a long Katana sword.  I raise my head to Graham and break into a run.
My light swiftness allows me to leap across the broken road and over cars piled in the streets. 
I dodge falling buildings with the katana outstretched behind me.  A chunk falls in front of me and I swing.  The concrete shatters in pieces and I burst through the dust cloud with mournful anger on my face.  I know what I must do.
“THE BRIDGE IS CONNECTED!  HERE I COME, GATEKEEPER.  YOU CAN’T STOP ME!!”  Rex’s voice consumes the last of Eternity's power and he falls to the ground, empty and dead.
Buildings explode and pieces of the earth rise.  The mountain walls crumble.  I fly over the rolling boulders and hit the desert sand. 
“NOOOOOO!!!”
Once I reach the veil, more tears fall as I spin the katana above my head and leap into the air. 
My heart shatters as I watch the tip of the sword enter Grahams chest.  I push it through his body to the hilt and scream out my pain. 
He places his hand on the back of my head as I lay it on his dying chest.  We fall to our knees and I watch my sword take his life. 
I look into his eyes.  “I’m sorry.” I choke.
“Thank you.”  He whispers and his head drops.
As he takes his last breath, I raise my head and scream.  The veil explodes and Rex's voice booms across my brain.
“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!”
I shoot up in bed, my face wet and I quickly look out my window.  Everything is bright and still.  I swallow and wipe my face. 
Just as I was about to get up, searing pain consumes my skin from my arm.  I grab it and look at my tattoo.  I watch in tears as two more tails burn off in ashes and disappear. 
I clench my teeth as the pain fades and the magic is erased from my mind.  A tear hits my arm and I wipe it away as I turn back to the window. 
My jaw ticks and I rip the blankets off.  “That will not be the answer.”  I grind and quickly get dressed. 
Rushing out of the dorms, I search for Graham.  He needs to know as much truth as I can tell him or the visions in my mind will have to come to fruition. 
As I get to the council room hall, I stop.  Leaning on the wall is a 16 year old Japanese boy.  He’s wearing an apron and had a foot is place up on the wall as inspects his fingers. 
He raises an eye to me and my mouth goes small.
“What are you doing, Kitsune?”  He asks as he pushes off the wall.
“Inari.  I’m sorry, I can’t let Graham figure this out on his own.  There’s no time.”  I say as I start to walk past him.
“If you are not careful, your vision will come true.”  He warns.
“Hai.  I know.  This is why I believe shielding Graham from his future is not a wise decision. The more he knows, the more he can be prepared for Rex.”  I face him and wrap my arms around myself.
Inari nods.  “I see your side and understand.  Just be careful.”  He grabs my arm and runs his young boy fingers down my tattoo.  “I’m also here to deliver information.”
I tilt my head.  “What?”
Inari leans to my eyes.  “He’s found you.  He wants his challenge.”
My jaw falls.  “Tanuki.”  I whisper as I search his eyes.
He nods.  “The dog spirit will bring his fight.  Kitsune, you cannot let him win, but you can’t fight him.  You need help.  Someone of great strength and heart.” 
“Graham.”  I smile.
He nods.  “I believe he will give you the bravery and power you need.”  His hand covers my tattoo and I watch him squeeze it.
“Is it possible my powers would be restored though Graham?”  I ask.
He looks into my eyes, lovingly.  “Anything’s possible, dear Kitsune.”  He runs a hand down my hair.  “You are my beautiful fox.  Your heart is full of love with a wildness that knows no bounds.  I believe your heart knows what needs to be done to save the worlds from Rex.  Whatever you do, never doubt your heart.  It knows much more than you do.”
“Thank you, Kami-Sama.”  I close my eyes and bow my head.
“You’re welcome, child.”  He pulls my head to his lips and kisses my forehead. 
“Shirley?”
I raise my head and Inari’s gone.  I turn to the Alphas leaving the council room.
“Graham.”  I breathe as I rush to him.  “I must speak with you…”  I look to the Alphas behind him and then meet his eyes.  “Alone.” 
He turns to his friends.  “Hey.  Give us a few minutes.  I’ll catch up.”
They nod in agreement and walk past us. 
“Ok.  What did you want to talk about?”  He smirks.  “I know what I want to talk about.”  He starts to wrap his arms around my waist.
I push him off.  “Not here.”  I grab his hand and pull him to the council room.
“Right, privacy.  You are a dirty, little fox, aren’t you?”  He says as I pull him into the room and shut the door.
“No.  This isn’t about that.  I want to speak to him.”  I arch a brow, cross my arms and kick out a leg. 
He looks at me with confusion.  “Uh…Speak to who?”
“You…the other you…I need to talk to him.”  I order.
He chuckles.  “Baby, there is no other me.  I’m the full package.”  He smirks as he sits on the edge of the table with his hands out.
I close the gap and point in his face.  “No.  You are the imposter.  My name is Kita, not Shirley.  The other you knew that.  Among your other mannerism, you are not him and not filled with the honor I need.  Let me talk with him now!”
He looks into my eyes and smiles.  “Damn.  A fake name.  Clever.  You’re pretty smart.”
I narrow my eyes.  “I am a fox.”
He ticks his head.  “True.”  He stands.  “Unfortunately, for you, little fox.  It doesn’t work that way.” 
I tilt my head and study him with squinted eyes.  “You called me little fox.”
He stuffs his hands in his pockets and shrugs.  “Just a pet name for my foxy lady.”  He leans to me and grins.
I shove him back.  “No.  The other you.  He called me the same thing.  How would he know to call me that?”
He ticks his head.  “Great minds think alike?”
I turn around and think.  “Or one mind trying to think the same.”  I mutter. 
“What are you saying?”
I spin around.  “Tell me.  Is there anything else of his that you have.  Some thought or skill.” 
“Besides the fact that I’m blind as a bat now.” He takes off his glasses and scowls.  “I’ve tried to turn it off, but can’t.  I’m fucking stuck like this.  Other than his nerdy professor leaking through every now and then, I’m still my own person.”
I study him further.  “You are two people, but I suspect, not for long.” 
He points to my nose and furrows his brow.  “No.  That’s not happening.  There’s no way.”  He grits.
“It already is, traveler.”  I fold my arms and stare him down.
He pulls back and stares at me curiously.  “Traveler?”
“I know what you are and I know what you are doing.  You will not harm Graham.  I will help him realize what he is.”  I get up in his face with a challenge. 
He grabs my shoulder and raises a finger to me.  His lip snarls.  “You aren’t getting in my way, hear me?  Your foxy ass won’t stop me.  Whatever happens to the piece of shit is not my problem.  Now, I don’t want to hurt your pretty body, but I will if you ruin this.”
“You can’t hurt me.”  I growl.
“No, but I know someone who can.  All I have to do is unleash him and you won’t stand a chance, Kitsune.”  He grinds. 
“You know Tanuki.”  I side eye him. 
“I do.  He’s on a very short leash that I can drop at any time if you insist on making things difficult.”  He glares into my eyes. 
“You know not what you've done.  Who you’re helping.  You will destroy the worlds!”  I push him back.
“My world was already destroyed the minute that bastard was brought to life!  I’m getting my life back!”  He yells. 
“You are his life!  You don’t realize how much better you can be with him!”  I yell back.
“NO!  NEVER!”  He rushes me and grabs my hair.  I wince in pain.  “I’m the better one!  Once he’s away from me, I’m coming here and taking over.  He doesn’t deserve this life!”  He yells in my face. 
“You will never be him!  You’re heart is black!  Your soul is tainted!  You have no honor!!”  I push him back and stumble.  I trip over my feet and land on the floor.  Tears sting my eyes as I stare into his. 
A shocked look grows on his face as he takes a couple shaky steps back.  He looks around the council room and down at me. 
“Kita?  W-What happened?”  He swallows as he searches my face for answers. 
“Graham.”  I pant as I pick myself up.  I wipe my eyes and rush him.
“Why were on the floor?  Why are you crying?  What happened?”  He asks as I grab his arm. 
I pull him put the door.  “I will tell you everything, but not here.  Let’s go to your office.”
“Uh…ok.”  He mumbles as I drag him down the hall. 
I truly hope this is the answer because if it’s not, the reality of my vision will have way more blood spilled than I anticipated.