Chapter 8

(Chapter song ‘All The Things She Said’ by t.A.T.u)
KITA

Meeting Graham was not what I expected when I entered the lecture hall.  I fully expected to just be a student in a class, but now…
I felt something.  A shift inside.  Since our conversation, I’ve been trying to place it.  He’s different.  I read most minds, but he’s difficult.  His thoughts are layered.  I can’t separate them.  I can’t understand what thoughts are real.  I’ve never seen anything like it. 
It doesn’t help that he’s a beautiful man either.  Being what I am, attraction is not usually a thing I feel, but I’ve noticed, since being in this world, I’m feeling things I’ve never experienced before. 
I was amazed at how gentle he presents himself as.  He has love in his heart, but it’s blocked.  I felt a tragedy.  A horrible loss that makes him feel empty.  I’m not sure what it is, but I can tell it effects him deeply. 
Unfortunately, I cannot waste time with people of this world.  I have to find the traveler before it’s too late.  If I had time, I would love to get to know Graham better.  He seems like a person of great honor. 
Maybe in another time.  Now, I must begin my search. 
First I need to figure out how much time I actually to have. 
I can’t touch the portal, but I can view the windows within it.  I need to scan the city. 
On the rooftop of the University, the wind blows through my hair.  The world is bright and the city is alive.  I close my eyes and breath in the breeze.  I feel the energies surround my as I hold my arms out.  I hear the life of this world and fill my power. 
My gold eye shoots open.  The world of white is covered with a gold veil.  The cracks are much worse.  For every pass, my mission gets more desperate. 
I close my gold eye and my blue eye opens.  The deep blue veil covers the city.  The buildings are destroyed and people wail in pain.  I hate this side, but it’s a necessary balance.  The cracks are equally horrific. 
A deep, echoing laughter booms across the sky and my brow furrows. 
‘I feel the leaks, gatekeeper.’ 
‘I will repair them.’  I speak to the godly voice. 
‘You won’t beat me.  I’m almost connected.  The pole on that side with make the bridge.’
‘You won’t be able to cross.’  I growl.
‘Once I find the traveler, I’ll be able to cross just as freely as you.’
‘How do you know about that?’  I narrow my eye.
‘Hello…Cosmic God?’  He says sarcastically. 
‘The traveler won’t let you destroy his world.  The God here won’t let you either.’
‘Please.  The God is a child wearing mans pants.  He'll bend to me once I strip him of his power.'
‘You will destabilize the universe!  Stop this foolishness.’ 
‘Don’t tell me what to do, gatekeeper.  You can’t stop me from getting to the pole.  His anchor to the Underworld will be controlled by me just like his counterpart who bows to me already.  I will control both worlds and there’s nothing you can do about it.’
‘He will die before that happens.’  I grit.
Another round of booming laughter.  ‘They don’t have the strength.  The barbarian couldn’t do it here, he can’t do it there.’
‘Don’t underestimate the world of light, Rex.’
‘I don’t.  I’m from there, remember sweetheart?  I know exactly what they’re capable of.  Sweet dick all.’ 
‘I will stop you.’
‘You can try, but all I see is death for you.  Better find the traveler before I do.’
The connection breaks and the world becomes normal. 
I lean on the wall and look over the edge.  I feel this world and its potential.  The other has the same but due to its opposite nature, the darkness must remain.  Like the circle of dark and light, the two must coexist.  Rex threatens that balance if I can’t repair my barriers against him. 
I need help. 
I walk to the center of the roof and sit crossed legged.  Placing my hands on my knees, I close my eyes, steady my breath and my solid form fades. 
My beacon is launched across the world.  Looking for the one who can help me.
My spirit flies over lakes and trees.  Vast cities. 
The beacon dips and rises.  Turns and twists, looking for my advisor. 
Finally it floats down into a city of many towers.  People fills its streets to the point you can barely see them.  We enter an area where things look familiar, but misplaced.  A culture within a separate world.  The signs I pass read in Asian language.  My beacon flies around people shopping and walking through the district.  It stops above a door and I land.  A fish shop. 
I come into being and open the door.  A bell rings over head. 
I step in to see tanks of water filled with various sea creatures and a counter of meats.  The other side is rice, and other grains.  Spices sit in barrels and line shelves on the walls. 
“Be right there!” 
A voice of a young man comes from the back. 
He comes out struggling with a basket of rice.  He’s of Japanese decent and very young.  I smile because it’s amusing he would choose a form so awkward. 
“Hi.  Welcome to…”  He meets my eyes and his smile fades.  “Kitsune.”  He whispers and he drops his basket.  Rice spills across the floor to my toes. 
“Hello, Inari.  I wouldn’t bother you, but I need your help.”
He stares at me, his brown eyes blinking.  He lifts his apron to his eyes and rubs them.  He drops it, acting like he can’t be seeing what he’s seeing.
I giggle at his reaction as he runs his hand through his short, black hair and places his hand on his hip. 

****

After dragging me to the back of his shop, he pulls out a chair for me to sit. 
“What are you doing here?  You can’t be here!”  He grabs another chair and places it in front of me. 
“Kami. The veil, It’s under threat by Eternity.”  I say with concern.
He hands me a tea cup of water and lemon and sits down.
“I just saw him.  He left with his weekly order of halibut and cilantro.  I felt no threat.”  He looks at me with concern.
I shake my head.  “No.  Not this one.  Rex.” 
“Rex?”  He crosses his legs and rubs his chin.  “That is a problem.  What about you?  You abandon your post?!”
“This is why I need your help, Kami Sama.  You are a God.  I am not.  I need to find the one who travels between worlds.  I know he’s touched the veil, but in this world, that’s thousands.“  I plead. 
“I could try to find such person, but I cannot interfere.  This is your quest.  It’s what you were created for.”  He leans on his knees.
“The gatekeeper.”  I mumble.
“Yes.  You’re the one who must find this traveler.  The rules of the veils are clear.”  He says softly and points to the tattoo on my arm.
“I don’t know where to look, Inari.  This place.  It’s so big.  Anything you can provide.  I need you guidance to help me.”  I beg.
“The words I can give you, my little one, stop listening to your mind.  Your mind will cloud your judgement.  Listen to your heart.  You will find the traveler through your greatest strength.  Your love for the worlds.  You won’t find him, Kitsune.  He will find you.”  Inari holds my hand and I give a small smile. 
“I don’t have much time.”  I whisper. 
“Have faith.  Trust the Gods.  They will be with you always.  Don’t worry so much.  A person of benevolence never worries.”  He smiles. 
“Confucius was a wise man.”  I grin. 
“He was.  Now, go.  Find your traveler.  Remember, this world may be harsh, but don’t lose the beauty you add by being here.  Remain the Kitsune I love dearly.”  He stands kisses my forehead and I’m filled with his godly love. 
“I will.”  I stand and he escorts me out.
“Before you go, would you like some tuna?  Fresh caught.  2 for 1 special.  This weekend only, but for you, I will offer and clean them for you.”  He grins.
I chuckle.  “No.  Thank you.”
“Alright.  Your loss.  Do me a favor.  Tell your friends.”  He opens the door.
“I will.  Good bye, Inari.” 
I fade and float back to the school in Phoenix.  I know Inari means well, but that didn’t help at all. 
I appear on the roof with my legs crossed.  I lean an elbow on my knee and tap my fingers against my cheek.  “He will come to me.  How would he come to me if he doesn’t know I exist?”  I sigh and stand.  “No.  I’ll have to use the resources of this world.  It’s the only way.”  I spin on my toes and leave the roof. 

****

I sit on a bench, studying the food in my hand.  A French fry.  It’s interesting.  Normally, I have no need to eat, but lately, I’ve been noticing this body needs nourishment of some sort. 
With that, I’ve been exploring food as I search for the traveler with my tablet. 
My fingers scan the internet.  The world is in there and it’s fascinating.  The knowledge it contains is priceless.  Unfortunately, my list of potential travelers grows.  From near death experiences to complete resurrection.  I still don’t know where to begin. 
I bite the fry and slowly chew as I access files in what is called the F.B.I.  One of many places that have extensive backgrounds on people. 
Still, I have just basics. 
I break the connection and blow out a breath.  “This is hopeless.”  I mutter.
“What’s hopeless?”
I whip my head to the side and Graham is standing on the walk.  The sun shines on him making him almost glow in my vision.  His smile lights up his face. 
“Oh.  Um.  A project for another class.”  I put my tablet to my chest and sit straight on the bench. 
Students walk to and from classes as Graham sits at the other end.  “Oh.  What one?”  He asks as he adjusts his glasses. 
“Psychology.  We're studying near death experiences.”  I answer. 
He nods.  “Interesting.  So, what’s the project?” 
“Oh, um…It’s boring.  You wouldn’t be interested.”  I nervously giggle.
“Try me.”  He leans on the back of the bench with a charming smile. 
“We have to determine the psychological effects of dying and coming back.  I’m researching cases, but all I come up with is fakes.  It’s frustrating.
“It’s funny.  I think I could actually…”  He stops mid-sentence, takes off his glasses and puts them in his pocket with a grin.
I scrunch my brow.  “Graham? Are you alright?” 
He crosses his leg.  “I’m perfect.  So are you.  Anyone tell you that you have amazing bone structure?”  He motions to my face.
I feel my cheeks heat.  “Um…no.”
“You are the most stunning woman I’ve ever seen.”  He smiles.
I swallow and stiffen up.  “Thank you.”
“I’m sorry.  Am I making you uncomfortable?”  He tilts his head and looks me over.
“No.  I’m not uncomfortable.  I’m just not used…”  I side eye him.  His energy is different and it’s throwing me off.  I still can’t read him. “You were going to say something?”
“You know what?  It wasn’t important.”  He slides closer.  “What do you say we go to dinner?  I know a really nice restaurant.  We could eat and I could get to know you better.” 
His fingers brush my skin which sends shivers across it.  “I…I can’t.  I have a lot of work.”
Now, I am uncomfortable.  I feel like something is off.
“You have to eat right?  Might as well do it with yours truly.”  He flashes a smile and I realize this is wrong. 
“No.  I must go.”  I pack up and stand. 
“Hey.  At least tell me your name."  He stands too. 
“You know my name.”  I stare at him curiously.
“What?”  He chuckles.  “No, I don’t, but I want to.” 
I study him further to understand why he’s acting like he doesn’t know me.  “Why are you acting like this?”  I question. 
“Acting like what?  I just met a beautiful woman and now I want to know her name.  Why is that a problem?”  He laughs.
My mouth shrinks and I try to see past his eyes.  “You are not Graham.  Who are you?” 
“Excuse me.  Uh…Yes, I am Graham.  Listen.  I just met you.  I don’t know what you’re thinking, but I’m not whoever you think I am.”  He scoffs. 
I shake my head.  “No.  This isn’t right.”
“Ok.  Baby, I swear.  I’m Graham.  I don’t know how you know me, but clearly you do.  Now, I don’t think it’s fair that you know my name and I don’t know yours.”  He motions to me and I’m starting to think there’s something deeper here. 
“Shirley.”  I mutter as I study his reaction to the false name. 
“Shirley.  Not what I expected, but it’s nice.  Nice to meet you, Shirley.  So, about that dinner.”  He steps closer. 
I step back.  “No.  I have to go.”  I spin around and walk back to the school.
“NICE MEETING YOU!” 
I look back and he waves. 
I open the door to the residences and walk to the elevator.  On the ride up, I play the encounter in my mind.  That felt like Graham, but it was like he was a totally different person.  I don’t understand.  I lower my tablet and place my palm on it.  I search for possible reasons behind this. 
The bell dings, the door opens and I walk to my room.  I swipe my card and enter my room as I collect answers that may make sense.  One is possession.  Maybe he’s under control of a spirit.  A ghost from other realms.  Another is brain damage.  He may be sick.  The third makes me stop.  I look up from my tablet.  “No.”  I breathe with shock on my lips.  Could it be true?
The stories and myths run through my mind and I sort through those that would apply.  A possession for sure, but not what one would expect.
After three hours of studying the event, I can only conclude one thing. 
My eyes widen and I remove my palm.  “He's the traveler.” 

Behind The Alpha Book 7 Grahamजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें