Chapter 22

(Chapter song ‘Whatever It Takes' by Imagine Dragons, ‘People I Don’t Like’ by Upsahl)
GRAHAM

“WOOO!” 
I jump to my feet, throw my arms in the air and spin in a circle.
I look down and Kita is stating at me with her fox head tilted, clearly confused. 
I laugh as I reach for her and grab her shoulders.  I lift her up and her tails flail out as she lets out a foxy laugh. 
“I'M BACK, BABY!  GOD, I LOVE YOU!”  I smash my lips on her tiny black nose and hug the crap out of her as I twirl us around in the snow.
I was fucking terrified as I began to feel my other me being pulled into me.  I truly thought that was it.  I was going nuclear again and that was it for good. 
The pain was unbelievable.  I felt it on the molecular level.  Everything burned under my skin as I felt us come together. 
The thoughts become one and holes were filled. 
I don’t know why it worked, but when Kita told me to believe, I guess I did on some level.  As much as Grahams life was horrible, I wanted it.  It was better than being trapped in my broken body, feeling nothing but self pity.  I gave everything to have my normal self back.  The pain and torture was worth it.
I guess in a way, I was the selfish one.  He fought right down to the last digit.  I wasn’t letting him go.  Once I realized how he felt inside me, he wasn’t going anywhere.
Now, I feel something more.  Like crystals flowing through my veins.  A power that wasn’t there before and it’s like a strength that I didn’t even know I was capable of holding. 
I slow my spin, cradling Kitas fox in my arms.  Her tails flowing over my arm and gently swaying back and forth. 
I gaze into her beautiful eyes.  “Shift, little fox.” 
She shifts in my arms and her smile hits my heart.  My eyes meet hers and I grin like I’m seeing her for the first time. 
“You're amazing.  I love you so much.”  I whisper. 
“I didn’t do anything.  It’s you who’s amazing.”  She places a hand on my cheek. 
I lean in, kiss her passionately and pour my love for my exotic beauty into it. 
I pull back, dragging my teeth across her full bottom lip.  She lets out a shaky breath and stares into my eyes.  “I must tell you what you have become.”
“What I’ve become?”  I raise a brow as I smile at her. 
She nods.  “Let me show you.” 
I set her down and take her hand.  She leads me to the gold wall.  We stop at the edge of the cliff and she turns to me. 
She holds my hands.  “With the infusion of your two selves, you, my love, have now become the Master of Worlds.”
I laugh and shake my head.  “What?” 
She giggles.  “It’s not humorous.  It’s a very important position in the universe.  The skills you possess are very powerful and once you learn what they are, you can use them to stop your enemies.”
“Kita, I’m not a superhero.”  I lean to her and whisper.
“You’re more than that.”  She grins.  “Trust me.” 
She turns me to the edge.  “You remember your other self walked across the expanse?”
“Yeah.”  I glance at her then up to the wall. 
“Do it.  Control your mind and believe you will not fall.”  She looks up at me and cinch my brows.
I shake my head.  “I can’t…”
“You can.”  She says softly.  She holds up our hands.  “Together.” 
I look to the wall and down the ravine with no bottom.  Only dense fog.  My heart stutters as fear sets in.  I take a deep breath, raise my foot and close my eyes.  “Believe.” 
I take a step and swallowed a yelp as my foot hit solid ground.  I almost lose my balance and regain my footing as Kita giggles.
I look back at her.  “Not funny.” 
She catches her breath.  “It’s a little funny.”
I groan and turn back around.  I look down at my feet hovering hundreds of feet above my certain death. “Ok.  You got my attention.”  I breath as I look to the wall.  “Now, what?”
“Walk through.”  She says as she joins me on the invisible bridge. 
I furrow my brow.  “That thing almost ripped me apart.”
“You didn’t control it then.  This time, you can open the door of transference.”  She squeezes my hand and eggs me on.
“Transference.  You mean portal control.”  I glance at her.
“Yes.  Open the portal, Graham.” 
I bite my top lip and slowly walk across the bridge.  I reach up and touch the gold, swimming lights.  Just like before, it moved like water as I sway my hand in it. 
Not letting go of Kita, I puff out my chest and step into the wall. 
I felt the pull and the cosmic forces surrounded me, but it was like I was protected in a bubble.  I saw the universe for a quick second and the light engulfed me. 
I calmly step out into the desert sun.  I raise my hand and shield my eyes as its strong beams hit my face.
Kita runs through, laughing.  “You did it!  I can’t believe it!”  She bounces and claps her hands.
I turn to her and arch a brow.  “You didn’t believe I could do it?”
She stops and her face falls.  “I mean, I had a tiny doubt, but I knew you were the one.”  She holds her head up.
I smile and grab her head.  “Thank you.”  I bruise her lips and she wraps her arms around my neck.  I pick her up and hold the back of her head as I deepen the kiss. 
She pulls back.  “We must inform your friends.  This will concern them greatly.”
I study her face.  “Kita…I don’t even know where to begin.  I have no clue what happened to me.  I can’t go to them with this.” 
She licks her lips and looks down to my chest.  She touches my skin and I feel that electric warmth of her skin. 
“I will explain what I know.  I don’t have all answers, but your friends will need to be told of the plans from the other side.  Just know, you will not be alone to navigate your new self.  I will be here with you for as long as you need me to be.”  She runs her fingers through my hair and down my cheek.
“I don’t want you to leave.”  I say as I lock her eyes. 
She smiles and nods.  “We will…cross that bridge when we come to it.” 
I laugh and pull her into a hug.  I get lost in her scent as I spin us around in the desert sand.  She teleports us home to get cleaned up and dressed.
We enter the council room and all the guys are hanging out.
“About time you showed up!”  Sawyer growls.
Brody stands with his arms crossed.  “It’s been three hours, bro.”  He scowls and Darcy joins his side.
I walk in with my hand up.  “I know.  I’m sorry.  I just had the most amazing experience ever.” 
Darcy hits Brodys arm.  “I bet.”  He smirks and motions to Kita.
“Not that!”  I growl.  I walk to the table and lean down.  “Sit down because what I’ve got to say, isn’t good.” 
I told them everything.  Right from the beginning.  Being dead, being put back together, the missing time and the stuff that Alt-Graham did.  I ended off with Rex, the melding to one and the invasion.
“Fuck!  I knew we should've gone back there.”  Sawyer hits the table and growls.  “What do you want to bet they’ve been kidnapping kids again.” 
I shake my head.  “I don’t think so.  I think they have a different plan.” 
Kita turns her chair to the table.  “They do.  They plan on finding Graham, using him to keep the portals open to walk through freely and Rex can kill Destiny without the cosmos exploding.  This will cause the worlds to absorb each other and become one.  Rex would control both and the balances would still remain intact.  Essentially, he’s bypassing the cosmic curtain and we can’t let that happen.”
Jake looks her over.  “How do you fit in all this?”
She glances at me and stands.  She quickly removes her tank and sweats and jumps into the air, she shifts and her fox paws land on the table.
All the Alphas push back.
“WHOA!”
“SUPER COOL!”
“WHAT THE…”
“DO THAT AGAIN!!”
She prances up the table and sits in the middle.  Her elegant white body faces Jake who’s covered in shock.  She raises her tail and fans out her nine fluffy tails like a peacock.
The Alphas mumble in surprise and look at me. 
She eyes them all.  “I…am a Kitsune.” 
Hunter grins.  “You’ve got to be kidding me.”
He’s as traveled as I am so, his knowledge of cultural myths is just as big. He turn his head to me and I grin at him.  “No joke, man.”  I lean on the arm of my chair and hold my chin in my curled fingers.
He points to me and raises his brows.  “You and her…”
“Yep.”  I nod, barely able to contain my happiness. 
“Holy shit.”  He turns back to Kita.  “Why do you guys get all the funky girls?” 
“Don’t know, man.  I don’t know, but I’m so glad I do.  She’s amazing.”  I preen. 
He shakes his head and laughs. 
I think about how true it is.  Wes, Dea, Cass, Oliver…Fuck, even Jesse and Quinn to an extent.  All of us seem to be pulling the fantasy girl lotteries, but maybe there’s a plan here.  Knowing what I know now, there’s a reason a Kitsune just showed up at my door.  The question is why?
“Um…she talked…Did anyone else hear that or am I crazy?”  Darcy points to Kita.
Kita turns to him.  “I have the ability to talk because my essence is spiritual ruled by the God Inari.” 
“And you are crazy.”  Owen smirks.
Darcy punches at him as he cackles. 
Owen leans on the table.  “Inari?”
“The Japanese fox goddess.  She is also like your Goddess of harvest.  She protects the grains and food we eat.  She is like my mother in a way.”  Kita informs.
Jake addresses Kita.  “Can we speak with her?”
“My culture protects its Gods.  They don’t expose themselves carelessly or interfere with other cultures gods.  Her duty was to me and my guidance of Graham.  This business with Rex is something that she cannot help with.”  Kita says as she arches a brow.
“I see.”  Jake leans on the podium.  “Ok.  So, what does this mean for Graham and what’s happening?” 
She stands and paces around the table.  I can see the guys wanting to touch her tails as she walks by them and I shoot them all looks with narrowed eyes.  They all back off. 
“Graham is very special.  He’s what I call ‘The Master of Worlds’.  I am unclear on the details, but when Graham fused to one being, the space I control between the worlds, gave him the power to cross the veils at will.”  She looks at me and I raise a brow.  “Yes, my love.  You control the veils.  At any given time, should you will it, you can cross over.  I will show you how.”
“Ok.”  I chuckle with skepticism.  I don’t actually believe it.  Stepping through once, was hard to consume, but to be able to jump dimensions at will, that’s a whole other thing.
“Wait.  Graham is a dimension hopper?”  Peter says as he turns to me.
I lean back and shrug.  “I guess so.” 
“So cool.”  Brody says.
Mateo leans on the table.  “I get the two Graham thing, but how?  We saw you, Compa.  You didn’t have anything like this.  What changed?” 
“I can field that question.”
Ash practically jumps out of skin as Destiny popped in beside him.  He swings a punch and Destiny blinks out, reappearing beside Jake.  He throws an arm around Jake’s shoulder. 
He smiles.  “Hey guys, miss me?”  He turns to Jake, grabs his chin and shakes Jakes head.  “Yeah, you did.  How’s my little prince?” 
Destiny slaps Jake’s cheek and Jake shoves him off.  “Get off me!”
Destiny scowls.  “Does bitterness run in the Maximus family?  God, you two need a vacation.” 
“What’s going on, Destiny?”  Owen barks. 
“O.  How’s business?  You know, I have some girls that would love your service.  How about a trip to the Underworld?”
“I'll pass.”  Owen squint his eyes and snarls. 
“Alright.  Let Len have all the demon fun.”  He claps his hands and walks to me.  He wags his finger at me as I turn my chair to him.  “Graham…It has been killing me to not tell you, but your alter…uh…you…he’s an asshole.” 
“I’m aware.  Tell me what.”  I cross my arms.  “You told me you had to improvise.  What did that mean?”
He pulls out a chair and sits.  “Ok.  Here’s the real deal.  You were spread all over the universe.  Like everywhere.  I hunted down pieces, but I was short on time.  Usually, I take more care and am not so sloppy, but it is what it is.”
“What is it?”  I grit.
He looks around the table and up at Kita.  He grins.  “You’re adorable.  I love that.  Awesome look.”
“DESTINY!”  I bark loud.
“Alright!  I couldn’t find all your atoms so I borrowed some.”  He shrugs and his brows stitch up as he gauges my reaction.
I scowl at him.  “You borrowed atoms?  From who?!”
He huffs a chuckle.  “From you, idiot.  I can’t just borrow anyone’s atoms.” 
“Hold on.”  Ash starts.  “You just took atoms from Mirror Graham and stuck him in him?”  Ash points to me.
“Yes, wallflower.  That’s what I did.”  Destiny sighs with snarky annoyance as he sits up.
“You destabilized his form.”  Kita walks up to us and sits.  “You caused them to connect through the worlds.”
“It wasn’t supposed to happen like that.  I took atoms that he wasn’t exactly using at the time.”
“Oh my God.”  Hunter and I both groan.  I motion my hand to him.  “How are you a cosmic God?  Every being is balanced.  Taking even one atom, throws everything out of whack!  How could you not know this?” 
“I wasn’t thinking!  I needed you whole so Zander wouldn’t get in the way.”  He scowls.
Jake leans to him.  “Get in the way of what?”
Sawyer huffs and shakes his head.  “He killed Eternity and took his position.”
Destiny turns his chair.  “Kill is such a strong word.  Murdered sounds better.”  He grins.  “Yes, I took out dear old dad and stole his corner office.  I needed you all focused on him so I could change the nameplate on the door without interruption.” 
“I doubt we’d stop you, Destiny.”  Peter says.
“I would have.”  Jake sneers.  “How is having him as Eternity any better?” 
Destiny stands and walks around the table.  “Ok, yes.  I fucked up, but look.  You got awesome powers.”  He motions to me.  “You got a cute…whatever you are…”  He motions to Kita and she growls at him.  He grins.  “Even your little growls are sweet.  Graham, hang on to this one, buddy.”  He stops by Jake.  “So everything worked out. 
Kita turns to him.  “Except the Alter Graham has told Rex about what happened and now he will hunt Graham to open the world bridge.  Putting you in danger.  Your mistake is more devastating then you let on.” 
He flops his hands to the side.  “Ok, yes.  I know.  Rex is trying to off my ass, but I know you guys and you know me.  I told you, round 2.  You guys got this.  You’re my boys!  My heroes!  You can do this!” 
“I thought Lefu was round 2?”  Jake crosses his arms.
“He is.  Rex is a side quest.”  He smirks and mirrors Jake’s posture.
The room groans. 
“I don’t want to play anymore.”  Ash grumbles.
“Awe, come on, Ash.  Do it for Graham.  He took one for the team.  For you.  The least you can do is fight another Eternity for him.” 
He looks at me then back at Destiny.  “For him.  Not for you.  You can go to hell.”  He growls. 
Jake points in his face.  “You better not change the rules this time.  We all live and we all fight together.” 
Destiny puts his hand up.  “No.  I couldn’t, even if I wanted to.  Unfortunately, this time, there’s higher powers at work.  I can’t change anything or kill anyone off…Even though I strongly expressed that ratings would drop at the last meeting upstairs.  Do they listen…No.”  He mumbles as he sniffs and straightens his jacket.
“What higher powers?”  Darcy raises a brow.
Destiny waves him off.  “Share holders.  It’s above your tiny brain.  Don’t worry about it.”
“Hey.”  He scowls.
Jake shakes his head.  “Ok.  So Rex is trying to kill you.  You’re fighting with us?”
He gets a shocked look on his face.  “Uh, no.”  He walks around the table and stands in front of us all at the end.  “I’ll be in Aruba.  You guys have fun.”  He grins and bounces on his toes as he stuffs his hands in his pockets. 
“Coward.”  I growl. 
He sharply points to me.  “Yes.”  He looks at Jake and raises his chin.  “I’m much too delicate to fight Rex.  I need to protect myself as best I can…by hiding behind you.  Bye!”  He waves and blinks out. 
Jake groans and shakes his head.  “Since the cosmic God doesn’t want to fight the other cosmic God, I guess we need a plan.” 
I lean on the arm of my chair.  “They have a mirror that can connect with any mirror in the world.  They also can survive coming through now.  Can we work with that?”
Hunter taps his tablet screen.  “The frequency of the mirror world is slightly different.  If they come through, I can scan for them.  I can also train the satellites to scan for armies not already on our lists.  They can’t really hide from us.  I can also call Finn and have him do the same…if he’ll allow it.”
“He has mirrors too.  They could pop up there so it’s best to warn him.”  I advise. 
Kita jumps down.  “We should start training right away.”  She shifts and dresses.
“Yeah, ok.”
Jake joins us.  “Kita.  We would love to register you in our database.  We try to keep a record of all the new creatures we meet.”
“Oh, um…”  She flicks her eyes between me and Jake.
I land a hand on his shoulder.  “Lets win the fight then bring Kita into the fold.” 
Jake shrugs.  “Sure.  No problem.  Nice meeting you.”  He smiles.
Kita bows.  “Nice to meet you, Alpha Jake.” 
I chuckle and pull Kita into me.  I guide her out of the council room.  “I’m starving.  Are you this hungry after coming through?”
“I don’t eat.”  She looks at the floor then up at me.
“Oh, well, I’m famished.  Lets get a couple burgers.”  I say.
“I'd like that.”  She smiles.
We almost exit the hallway to the second floor main lobby when we’re stopped by a big guy in a leather jacket.
My brows raise.  “Adam?”
He looks me over with a curious look on his face. 
“We need to talk.”  He grumbles in a monotone voice as he eyes us both. 
We both look at each other and turn back to him.