"You really didn't realise what you were wearing?" mom asked, handing me my cream coloured heels.

"No."

"Mama, Baba, I'm telling you, she needs glasses," my brother said and left before I could say anything to him.

"Pari, hurry up. We're going to be late," dad said, before leaving.

"Turn off the living room light, Pari," mom ordered as she flicked open the enter hall light because—according to her—it's for safety.

We locked the door behind us and started approaching dad and Hassan bhai.

"Did you call Zaidan?" mom asked me as we approached them.

"Yeah, I did. Last night." She nodded and dad opened the backseat door of his car for me and mom to sit. Although we always had a car, my dad always insisted that I take the bus.

I had called Zaidan last night to invite him to that party. He had picked up on the first ring and I told him about the party and upon hearing Lucinda's name he immediately agreed coming.

I feel dumb for even calling him. I mean when I know how Zaidan is, why did I even bother calling him? I'm starting to lose hope for us, he will never change and our marriage will never work out.

One hour later. . .

I'm standing in the middle of this large building—where the party is held—with my mouth agape.

Out of nowhere, I felt a finger on my chin and then I felt myself closing my mouth.

"You better close your mouth, because you'll have an anxiety attack later, seeing all these people staring at you," came Zaidan's voice, as he came in front of me and blocked the view with his huge body.

"This place is so absolutely stunning," I whispered in awe.

"I know, but you know what's even more breathtaking?" I looked at him, then slowly shook my head.

"This." He turned me around, and we faced a grand mirror. My heart fluttered with excitement, but I tried to contain my emotions, not wanting to get my hopes up just yet. Noticing I reached above his chest with heels, I pretended to be clueless and exclaimed happily, "I reach your chest!"

"Are we in a competition now?" he asked, raising his eyebrow and leading me to the sitting area.

"Yes, we are. And one day Insha'Allah I'll reach your neck," I replied confidently, and sat on the chair Zaidan had pulled out for me. [If Allah wills.]

"You really have the spirit of a child." He shook his head at me.

"I do," I said, swinging my legs and I can swear I saw his lips twitching upwards.

"By the way, where are your parents and brother?" he asked, standing in front of me with his hand on the chair.

"My brother is with Yusuf and with other friends of his, and my mom ran to her friends and an uncle approached dad so he got busy with him."

"And where are your friends?"

"I don't really know. They were supposed to be here before me."