Chapter 17

**NOTE** : Thanks to everyone who entered, and congratulations to _that__1D__thing_ , who was the first person to get the answer right:D It was Esme who died in Alice's vision in the previous chapter. Can Alice prevent this horrific event happening now? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mackenzie's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk alongside Esme, who was still clutching desperately to Carlisle's arm. She was clinging onto him for dear life - and for what I've heard from Carmen, it might be. Seth trots to my side, blocking my view of some of the other Cullens and Denalis, but I don't care. I was actually glad that the Cullens will have their help. 

Rosalie and Emmett had given me and Renesmee matching camouflage backpacks; inside was money, legal documents like birth certificates and passports, a mobile phone with a fifty dollar top-up, and a couple of momentous. I don't know what mine are, but Renesmee's are pictures of her and the rest of the Cullens, a locket that Bella and Edward gave her a few years ago, and a little teddy bear.

I can't help but think that this is all my fault; because, after all, it is. Carmen was right earlier on: everyone would be better off if I had never been born. A gust of warm, midday wind blows softly against my skin, making my hair fall in front of my vision. I move it away with my hand, throwing my long locks behind my shoulders. I wouldn't let anyone near my hair with a pair of scissors, so it was past my knees now.

Everyone said that it would take a little while to get to the clearing, but to me it seemed quite fast. We reached there with ten minutes to spare, so all that is left to do is to wait.

"Do you think Ness and Mackenzie should..." Bella suggests, but I lose the end of her sentence as the sound of multiple footsteps in the distance distracts me. I hear the whoosh of air as someone darts to my side, and suddenly I'm in the air. I kick whoever it was in the stomach, but they continue to lift me  until they place me on Seth's back.

"Emmett, don't you dare do that again" I hiss, trying to scramble down, but I keep getting pushed back up by Emmett.

"You've got to, if it comes to--" he begins, but I stop him mid sentence.

"IF your going to say 'if it comes to a fight' it won't" I snap, aiming another kick. He pushes my leg back so I was resting in the dip between Seth's giant shoulder blades. I hiss, but don't try to get down again. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Renesmee perched on Jacob's back, looking around at her family anxiously.

"How long?" Bella asks, looking over at Alice, who was still in Jasper's arms.

"Less than thirty seconds" she murmurs, turning to face the front of the clearing. She seemed... ashamed. Ashamed that she didn't find out anymore, is the main possibility in my mind. I notice that Bella and Edward were now holding hands, standing side by side, as were Rosalie and Emmett. Esme was clinging to Carlisle's arm desperately, afraid to let go, and Alice was still in Jasper's arms. The tense atmosphere didn't seem to budge -whether that was just me, I won't know- even though it was apparent to everyone that Jasper was trying to use his gift.

The swish of air mixed with the crunch of leaves under their feet makes everyone stiffen. Nobody moved as the cloaked figures stalked forward, emerging from the thick green forest. The midday sun beat down relentlessly, making their papery white skin sparkle like diamonds. They stopped about fifty meters away; a distance anyone, even the wolves, could jump. My breathing was rapid already, but at this sight it beat so fast everyone turned their head slightly to me. It was so real that it was unreal. I've got a feeling that I'll fall asleep later on, and wake up with Harriett next to me.