Chapter 11

Eleazar's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that I cannot go back now; for if I did, and Aro found out, Carmen's life would be in danger. Aro's words from centuries ago surface to the front of my mind:

If you ever find a mirror, and do not bring them to us, Carmen will die. I am certain of it.

So that's why I cannot regret my decision. She will understand, if I tell her why I did it.

But, now as I approach the Volturi lair, something in the back of my mind keeps shouting for me to leave, to keep Mackenzie's existence a secret. But even I could not be so naive as to think the Volturi would offer me a second chance. Alice would have seen my decision by now, and surely she would have told the other. I know that even if I explain my actions, Carmen shall never take me back after this.

As the sheet of rain, icy to a human, but not to me, pours down on the streets, it doesn't surprise me to see that Jane was waiting by the wooden doors; I had told them in preparation about why I need to speak with the ancients. She leads me through the long, twisting corridors, hidden deep under the main grounds of the city, and into the large main room.

In this room, even a human could hear a pin drop.

"Well, Eleazar, I cannot deny that I am impressed" Aro praises, waiving Jane back to her post. "But, then again, I cannot say that I am surprised, either. For you do love Carmen, and it doesn't shock me that you would go to great lengths to save her"

"Could we please get this over with quickly?" I snap, "I have centuries of groveling ahead of me"

"Why, of course, old friend" he replies, stepping forward. He takes my hand in his, and searches my memories until he abruptly steps backwards.

"My, she is indeed very powerful" he comments, "Yet she cannot control her powers at will"

I turn, and begin to walk over to the dark wooden doors, before I spin around again.

"Aro?" I ask, causing all eyes to shift to me. When he doesn't answer, I begin to feel uneasy.

"Spit it out!" Caius commands, his voice so piercing it took all of my strength not to cover my ears. Aro waves his hand at Caius, silencing him.

"Will you harm the girl?" I say, ignoring the impatient sigh from Jane.

"Why, of course not" Aro gasps, trying to sound genuinely shocked, and failing.

"As long as she remains loyal" Caius adds, an evil grin creeping it's way onto his face. I'm sure my face would have been comical if the situation had not been so serious. I quickly compose my face, before turning on my heel.

"Thank you for your time" I mutter quietly, walking away.

Just before I exit the room, I hear Aro's footsteps walking back towards the other ancients.

"Brothers" he announces, his voice tight with anticipation. Suddenly, it gets harder, more forced as he says the end of his sentence. "I think it's time to pay out dear friend Carlisle a visit"

Mackenzie Cullenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें