Chapter 5

Mackenzie's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just sit there, staring blankly at the news paper in front of me. Not blinking, my breaths coming in heavy rasps. 

After what felt like hours, I finally broke. I pull my knees up to my chest, and sob tearlessly. My eyes stinging, waiting for the tears that never come. Why couldn't I cry? What am I? My heart feels as though someone had ripped it from my chest, and fed it to a wild dog. No, not a dog, a wolf. But I couldn't be angry with the wolves, not now. I was too upset. Pain was the only emotion that I can now understand.

Nobody said a word, everyone was silent. As though they knew how I'm feeling. 

After a few minutes, I hear a pair of footsteps slowly coming closer. I didn't bother to look up. To tell the truth, I actually couldn't be bothered. 

"It'll be ok" Esme whispers, wrapping her arms around my shoulders.

"How, she's dead" I sob, my tone harsher than I'd meant it to be. She doesn't say anything, but instead hums a melody.

I don't know how long I was sobbing for; but by the time I stopped it had reached twilight.

I hear the door open, then close, and a pair of footsteps approaching. 

"What's the matter with Mackenzie?" Renesmee asks, stopping a few feet away from where I am.

"Something bad has happened to someone very close to her" Esme replies, keeping her voice low. Renesmee didn't ask anything else; she just sat down next to me, and stayed silent. I hear her switch on the TV. 

"Not now, Ness" Rosalie says. Renesmee turns it off with a sigh, obviously annoyed. She probably doesn't know what's going on, no one has explained what had happened in detail, just hinted towards the situation. I sigh, loudly.

"Just... let her have on the TV." I say, my voice cracking at the end, bringing on another wave of dry sobs. Renesmee doesn't turn on the TV, instead, she rests her head on my shoulder, and hugs me. 

I hear the door open again, and smell that awful smell of wet dog. I don't move, in fact I don't think I have moved for a while.

"What's up with--" Jacob begins,

"Shut it, dog" Rosalie spits, cutting him off mid-sentence. The mutt shuts up, and keeps his distance. 

What felt like hours pass before the hollow feeling in my stomach begins to take it's toil. It rumbles, causing my to jump.

"Are you hungry?" Esme asks, getting up. I shrug my shoulders, ignoring the eyes that I knew were all focused on me. I hear footsteps on the stairs, and the fridge door open.

___________________________________

A week has passed since the day I found out that Harriett was dead. And, ever since, I'd follow a routine; wake up, shower, eat, drink, go to the bathroom, watch TV with Ness, eat, drink, go to the bathroom, then sleep. I never spoke, and didn't really pay attention to what was on the television, I would just stair blankly, never blinking, mouth closed.

I was, am, and will be forever more, an empty shell.