Chapter 12

Mackenzie's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"NO! I don't believe you. You're lying!" Carmen shouts, running out of the room. Everyone in the room stares at Alice. Nobody else believed her, either.

"Are you sure?" Tanya asks, taking one small step closer to Alice, who nods her head solemnly.

"But Eleazar left the Volturi centuries ago, why go back now?" Kate whispers, and I was ninetynine percent certain that she was talking to herself.

"I did have one more vision" Alice says quietly, as though she was reluctant to speak. "One where he didn't go to the Volturi"

"What happened?"

"They found out about Mackenzie's existence. They all come, kill--" at that point in Alice's sentence, Edward grits his teeth together, his fists clench at his sides. "-- whoever tries to stop them. Then, just as their leaving, Aro whispers 'I told you this would happen', to Eleazar. Then they... kill Carmen"

Tanya and Kate gasp, both looking at Alice with their mouths wide open.

"Why would they kill Carmen?" Garrett asks, confused.

"I don't know, that's what's bothering me" Alice replies, her shoulders hunching over, making her appear smaller that she actually is.

"When are they coming?"

"Five days, at exactly mid day" Alice murmurs, burying her face in her hands.

"Is there anyway we can stop it?" Esme questions, "I mean, Mackenzie isn't a danger, is she?"

Alice shakes her head mournfully.

"It's set in stone. The only other option I saw was the one where..." she trails off, but it was easy to see what she meant.

So, it all comes down to me. Either I let them fight, and die, for me. Or I stop it all now, and give in to my fate. I know which one I'd chose, because no one is dieing for me. That dream wasn't going to come true.

"Then we do what we can. Our family, no matter how many times we've apologised, has caused your'se so much grief. We will not leave until Eleazar's mistake is put right" Kate announces. Garrett and Tanya nod in agreement.

"No" I breathe, my voice barely a whisper. "No" I repeat, louder this time, "Nobody will die for me. Not ever. I'd rather fight them off myself"

The whole room was silent, apart from my breathing and heartbeat. Even a human could have heard a pin drop.

"Well, there is one option..." Kate begins, looking over at Edward.

"My family may be in danger, but she's just a child" Edward growls through clenched teeth.

"What?" Carlisle asks, looking at Kate.

"Well, I was thinking that, like we did for Bella, maybe Mackenzie could learn to project her shield" Kate replies, a little remorsefully at the thought, like it embarrassed her to voice her opinion after Edward's reaction.

There was a strained silence in the room, and a tense atmosphere settles in the still air of the room.

"O-okay" I stammer, taking a deep breath to steady myself. "I'll try"

__________________

"No way! At least Edward doesn't shock himself" Kate protests, stepping backwards.

"And she called me a chicken" Emmett mutters, walking over to Rosalie's side. Renesmee and Jacob had woken up, though nobody had mentioned about the problem with the Volturi to Ness, Jacob knew, and thought it better he kept quiet like the rest of us. Renesmee just thinks that I'm trying to project my shield in case there's a threat. Kate growls at Emmett, baring her teeth. He chuckles, and turns away muttering 'all bark and no bite'.